Engine cooling fan

More
29 Nov 2007 20:29 #183164 by davel
Engine cooling fan was created by davel

Post edited by: davel, at: 2007/11/29 23:36
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Nov 2007 20:45 #183166 by davel
Replied by davel on topic Engine cooling fan
So me and the ol KZ made it through the first season with the 1075 kit installed. The bike is a joy - finally. Many thanks to everyone at the forum and Jeff at Z1. This bike has a few unconventional features that worked well so I thought I’d post them when time allowed. The one detailed below is a cooling fan mod I made mid season. It works perfectly and keeps the 1075 from overheating in city traffic regardless of air temp. Before adding the fan this engine would overheat if it were stuck idling in traffic in hot weather. It never stalled or seized but it would start idling erratically and ping under load. The engine would then behave normally once it got moving (even if the air temp was 90+ degrees) just as long as air was moving over the engine it would run fine. This got me thinking about a cooling fan. I found a nice 7” fan made by Derale in the Summit Racing catalog. It is intended for car oil coolers and it moves alot of air. I ordered it with an optional coolant temperature sensor switch with adjustable temperature control. Since the bike already had an oil cooler I decided to install the temp sensor in the outlet side of the oil cooler. Logic being that if the oil coming out of the cooler were still hot, this means no air is moving over the cooler and the fan kicks on. Once air moves over the cooler the oil temp drops and the fan shuts off. I was able to use this setup during the last half of the season in city traffic and it worked perfectly! Bike ran great and never overheated. Fan would turn on if I was stuck in traffic in 80+ weather and shut off once I got on the expressway. Hope these pics and info are of some use.

The fan points directly at the middle two cylinders. It does a good job of moving alot of air (rated at 400cfm 4amp) over the hottest part of the engine.
Oil cooler (JC Whitney PN ZX381481X)
Derale fan (Summit Racing PN DER-16507)
Fan bracket (home made)

Post edited by: davel, at: 2007/11/29 23:52
Attachments:

More
29 Nov 2007 20:46 #183167 by davel

Temperature sensor (Summit Racing PN DER-16749) mounted on the outlet side of the oil cooler
Attachments:

More
29 Nov 2007 20:48 #183168 by davel

Fan relay with temperature adjutment pot (included with temp sensor)
Attachments:

More
29 Nov 2007 20:49 #183170 by davel

Final Product
Attachments:

More
30 Nov 2007 04:26 #183183 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Engine cooling fan
I never thought about adding a fan to a air cooled bike, but it seems to work just fine, neat ideaB)

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
01 Dec 2007 05:31 #183308 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Engine cooling fan
davel, just curious... how is plastic fan assembly holding up between hot motor and very hot exhaust pipes? :unsure:

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
01 Dec 2007 08:22 #183332 by davel
I had the same concern when installing it but it's held up fine. The back of the fan (closest to the header pipes) is powder coated sheet metal. The front of the plastic fan shroud is about 2.5 inches from the cylinder block. It's been through hot days and rainy days and so far so good. The fan is high quality and meant for hash environments. Well worth the $70 paid.

The other concern I initially had was that an extra 4 amp electrical draw at idle might drain the battery but that hasn't been a problem either. Alternator seems to keep up fine and the fan doesn't kick on very often or for very long.

More
01 Dec 2007 10:29 #183361 by Lorcan
Replied by Lorcan on topic Engine cooling fan
If the fan doesn't kick in very often or for very long then it's probably not needed, but I still like your thinking, it's a cool idea B) ;)

760cc - 8.69@162mph
810cc, 211mph www.750turbo.com
www.stormdragbike.com

More
01 Dec 2007 14:00 #183384 by davel
Lorcan wrote:

If the fan doesn't kick in very often or for very long then it's probably not needed, but I still like your thinking, it's a cool idea B) ;)

Well, I wouldn't recommend all the effort and energy in a rural or suburban setting but in NYC, where the occasional summer traffic jam is inevitable, it's worked out quite well. Though I usually do a pretty good job of making my way through traffic ;)

More
06 Mar 2008 19:47 #198832 by BohicaBob
Replied by BohicaBob on topic Engine cooling fan
Thanks for sharing this information about installing a cooling fan.

I've often thought how great it would be to have a cooling fan on my Zs here in Florida especially during the summer when it's 95+ degrees F and I'm stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic ... and my Zs' oil temperature is approaching 250 degrees F.

More
06 Mar 2008 21:03 #198847 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Engine cooling fan
ive been trying to find a small enough fan to mount between backbone tubes of frame above motor to pull cool air across topside of motor while sitting/idling.project #534678...........:P

Still recovering,some days are better than others.