Loud tick sound

More
27 Nov 2007 10:24 #182853 by CptEDIV
Loud tick sound was created by CptEDIV
When I run my bike in the morning while cold, or damp from dew, or after a rain, during acceleration it'll make a loud tick from I think under the gas tank.. almost sounds like a tiny backfire or air blowing out of a tiny hole real fast. It seems like it lacks in performance after it gets a little wet. The coils are new-used and have no cracks or dings in them... What should I check for? Thanks
-Ed

1979 KZ 650 D2 \"Midnight\" blue.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Nov 2007 11:54 #182857 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Loud tick sound
Could try water mist spray over spark wires and caps with engine running in a dark garage. Maybe get a free fireworks show. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
27 Nov 2007 11:54 #182858 by martijn
Replied by martijn on topic Loud tick sound
tick or ringing? and since when? could be big valve lash, broken piston rings, big end play, pinging or just a bad connection from high tension lead to plug cap. I´m sure there are a dozen more suggestions....:blink:

More
28 Nov 2007 06:22 #182945 by CptEDIV
Replied by CptEDIV on topic Loud tick sound
Its a loud tick tick noise, but not consistant at all, and its been doing it since it rained two nights ago. Valves clearance was set about 4 months ago. Doesn't seem to lack performance and gets less frequent as the bike warms up.
-Ed

More
28 Nov 2007 09:34 #182966 by Patton
Thinking electrical leakage between coil and spark plug due to deterioration and/or cracking in spark plug wires and/or spark plug wire caps. Problem is worse under damp conditions. Heat from running tends to dry things out which may lessen the problem.

Check list:
Connection of plug wire to coil;
Integrity of plug wire;
Connection of plug wire to cap;
Integrity of cap;
Ohm readings between #1/4 caps;
Ohm readings between #2/3 caps;
Connection of cap to plug.

If plug wires are replaceable, here's a good choice that come equipped with caps already affixed.

plug wires

If plug wires are built into the coils, a special splicer may be required to install the new plug wires.

splicer

I use a little dilectric grease where the plug wire connects into the coil (Dyna coils and wires), thinking it helps repel moisture and inhibit corrosion, but some very well-informed others recommend against this.

Good luck! :)

Post edited by: Patton, at: 2007/11/28 12:35

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
28 Nov 2007 18:00 #183010 by fishybass
Replied by fishybass on topic Loud tick sound
I agree with Patton. All indications are spark plug wires. Try spraying water on them when it's dark.

I had a similar problem with my VW. In that case the noise came from my ignition coil arcing.

Could the stator be arcing? I don't know about stators.

More
29 Nov 2007 06:37 #183065 by CptEDIV
Replied by CptEDIV on topic Loud tick sound
I pulled the plugs out and looked at em, they were a light red color? I pulled the plugs out of the carbs and let the fuel drain it, it had a reddish tint. I guess I was getting oil in the gas? I checked the oil level, it had too much, so I dumped some out. Could this cause that kind of sound? Haven't started it, ran out of gas... But I'll see tonight. Thanks for the help,
-Ed

More
29 Nov 2007 10:55 #183086 by Patton
CptEDIV wrote:

I pulled the plugs out and looked at em, they were a light red color? I pulled the plugs out of the carbs and let the fuel drain it, it had a reddish tint. I guess I was getting oil in the gas? I checked the oil level, it had too much, so I dumped some out. Could this cause that kind of sound? Haven't started it, ran out of gas... But I'll see tonight. Thanks for the help,
-Ed

...getting oil in the gas? -- doubtful. But didn't hurt to drain the float bowls, and might have flushed out some loose crud.

I checked the oil level, it had too much, so I dumped some out -- did it smell like gas? Gas intrusion into crankcase can result in serious engine damage. Would give crankcase oil the sniff test. If any doubt about being clean fresh oil, would change both oil and filter. And disconnect fuel supply to carbs and do not run engine until any such problem is corrected.

Could this cause that kind of sound? -- nope. The sound described is likely a spark leak.

...ran out of gas -- some gas might have migrated into the crankcase.

Good Luck! And don't forget about the water mist test in dark garage. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD