need help mounting my exhaust

More
25 Nov 2007 18:20 #182657 by genesis
need help mounting my exhaust was created by genesis
Just got my 4-1 brandless exhaust mounted on my 78 650. It was for an 80 650 according to the guy I bought it off. the header went on fine, but the can is off from the stock mount by about 1/2 inch. what should I use to make a mount. I was thinking of getting a strip of steel, or some other metal and just drilling the bolt holes to make a sort of mount. any ideas or suggestions?
also, what is the proper way to mount the can to the header. I assume it should be welded, but can I get some sort of clamp to keep the exhaust from coming back out the cracks until I decide if I want to keep this can or not?:unsure:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Nov 2007 18:34 #182659 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic need help mounting my exhaust
Any piece of metal that will take some vibration and not fatigue and break would be fine for a mount. Not too thin, to give it some strength.

Lots of pipes and cans are clamped together. As long as the two are a good fit/compatable size with no gaps, clamping tightly should do the trick.

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

More
25 Nov 2007 18:35 #182660 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic need help mounting my exhaust
You should be able to go to any Midas type place and get a clamp. Or maybe even a Napa store. A hose clamp won't work. As for the mount for the rear a small strip of steel with holes drilled will work.

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

More
25 Nov 2007 19:21 #182670 by genesis
Replied by genesis on topic need help mounting my exhaust
awesome, I'm so glad some of my ideas are starting to be good for this bike. It feels good to finally get my hands dirty. My wife even likes it (apparently it makes me smell manly;) )

More
25 Nov 2007 20:15 #182673 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic need help mounting my exhaust
genesis wrote:

Just got my 4-1 brandless exhaust mounted on my 78 650 ...header went on fine, but the can is off from the stock mount by about 1/2 inch. what should I use to make a mount. I was thinking of getting a strip of steel, or some other metal and just drilling the bolt holes to make a sort of mount. any ideas or suggestions? also, what is the proper way to mount the can to the header. I assume it should be welded, but can I get some sort of clamp to keep the exhaust from coming back out the cracks until I decide if I want to keep this can or not?:unsure:

Using a rubber isolator mount to affix can to hanger helps eliminate vibration transfer from can to bike frame. I've used then forever with great success. Available in various sizes. Here's an example.

Probably best not to weld, as welding eliminates ability to make exact fitment adjustments when installing. And if chrome, ruins the finish. Wouldn't use any sealer either. Small leaks usually self-seal after running a few miles.

Good luck!:)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
25 Nov 2007 20:24 #182675 by The Milkman
Replied by The Milkman on topic need help mounting my exhaust
On your 650 the nut that holds the muffler in the bracket on the footrest slides in the mount,, it won't slide far enough to line up with the mount on the muffler?

78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1