Recognize Oil Pan Debris?

More
15 Nov 2007 07:39 #181159 by Norseman
Recognize Oil Pan Debris? was created by Norseman
I finally got the engine out of the frame, fabbed mounting hardware, and up on the stand:

When I removed the oil pan, I found this:

The washer was undamaged, so I have to assume "no foul", but how it got there is anyone's guess...
What bothers me a little is the redish-orange hard plastic pieces. The outer and inner edges have a slight curve, as well as thickness diminishes from outer edge to inner.

Do any of you recognize what these pieces may be from? The pieces appear to be a material similar to "bakelite" - what old phones were made of.

Post edited by: Norseman, at: 2007/11/15 10:41

Post edited by: Norseman, at: 2007/11/15 10:42

Post edited by: Norseman, at: 2007/11/15 10:47

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Nov 2007 07:45 #181161 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Recognize Oil Pan Debris?
The far left pieces almost look like clutch material?

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
15 Nov 2007 07:45 #181162 by mariozappa
Replied by mariozappa on topic Recognize Oil Pan Debris?
I would say the black hard plastic is part of the old cam chain rubbers.

22mm OD washer, perhaps the washer that goes on the head where you tighten down the head nuts.

Everything else.....I dunno.
:S

1977 KZ650C1
and the KZ650/KZ750 Conversion ;)

More
15 Nov 2007 11:21 #181195 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic Recognize Oil Pan Debris?
The different rubber and orange plastic stuff is probably the cam chain adjuster parts?

And that's the lucky washer they toss into every 1000 engine...:whistle:

By the way, I really like your engine stand.

Post edited by: OKC_Kent, at: 2007/11/15 14:23

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

More
15 Nov 2007 11:23 #181197 by coppertales
Replied by coppertales on topic Recognize Oil Pan Debris?
The washer looks like a head nut washer. The aluminum flakes look like what I had in my engine. The clutch pushrod had rubbed down where it comes through the case on the left side. Eventually the pushrod wore through and broke. Might want to pull it out and see. If it is not worn too badly, just reverse it. The hard rubber is from a cam chain guide getting hard and breaking up. The gravel is from the road, how that got in there, who knows......chris3

Forgot the red plastic. Looks like the bonding material holding the magnets to the rotor.....chris3

Post edited by: coppertales, at: 2007/11/15 14:24

1982 KZ1100 A2
1982 1100 SPECTRE
1982 1100 SPECTRE

More
15 Nov 2007 11:28 #181198 by dannyg40
Replied by dannyg40 on topic Recognize Oil Pan Debris?
coppertales wrote:

Forgot the red plastic. Looks like the bonding material holding the magnets to the rotor.....chris3<br><br>Post edited by: coppertales, at: 2007/11/15 14:24

Thats exactly what it is. Just changed my stator and found a few tiny pieces of the same red stuff from the rotor missing.

More
15 Nov 2007 14:42 #181218 by Norseman
Replied by Norseman on topic Recognize Oil Pan Debris?
Thanks for all the responses, Guys! That redish material just had me stumped - didn't recognize it and was bothered by the fact that I couldn't identify it. I didn't even think about the bonding material holding magnets to rotor.

If it is that, there's more than just a few tiny pieces. When I place them together, it's almost 2.5 inches worth. Do I have a significant problem here? Where do I look for missing materials? The stator looks fine, but it may have been replaced in the past, I simply don't know. Appreciate some advice or direction.

Coopertales: I did as you suggested with the clutch pushrod - it looks pretty worn, and I will replace it as part of the build - thanks for heads-up!

OKC_Kent - the engine stand is actually a cool story. I stopped by Murray Auto to check on some wiring for my harness. I mentioned to the manager that I was looking for a bike lift and an engine stand. He asked me if I had a minute and took me out back where they were looking to get rid of a discontinued Chevy small-block on a stand which was a display. He said if I helped him get the engine block off, he'd let me have the stand for $25. Needless to say - I helped him and left with the AC Delco engine stand. Once in a great while one gets blessed, eh?:P

More
15 Nov 2007 15:16 #181220 by KaZooCruiser
Replied by KaZooCruiser on topic Recognize Oil Pan Debris?
My guess on the washer is that somehow it got left behind during an oil change. Maybe it is the one that is supposed to be against the filter to keep the spring from contacting it.

Course, my bike might be a different setup than yours. And I don't really know what size the washer is.

:blink:

But seeing what was found in your pan, it might be a relly good idea to start over with a new oil pump.

More
15 Nov 2007 16:21 #181240 by Norseman
Replied by Norseman on topic Recognize Oil Pan Debris?
I forgot to mention - the redish/orangy pieces must have some trace amount of ferrous metal content because I can pick the pieces up with a magnet.

Okay, I checked the parts diagram and that washer on the 1981 KZ1000 should be 20.5x30x1mm, and the one recovered from oil pan is 10x21x1.5mm. Got me thinking though, KaZooCruiser, and checked my oil filter. Lo and behold, that washer between the spring and filter is missing.

I couldn't find any oil pumps on Z1Enterprises, what would a new pump run (if anyone has had occasion to buy one?). Here's my reasoning: I'm putting some money (and alot of labor) into the bike this winter, such as honing cylinders with new rings and all gaskets, powder coating frame, painting tank/covers (not rattle can), new R&R, etc. If all that is done and the oil pump fails...:angry:

What'da think?

Post edited by: Norseman, at: 2007/11/15 19:27

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
More
16 Nov 2007 05:07 #181299 by CoreyClough
Replied by CoreyClough on topic Recognize Oil Pan Debris?
I had similar aluminum flakes in the oil pan on my 44,000 mile motor after hearing tapping noises above idle and it looked like this:

Turned out to be #3 cylinder rod knock that's common on 550 motors with high mileage, from what I've heard. :(

Yes the sludge/oil is the water that got in there after the bike was sitting outside. The noise was there before it sat in the weather, so it didn't create the problem

The original cam chain sliders were in great condition.

Removing the oil pan is something I recommend everyone do at some point after buying a bike. You gosta know the bikes maintainence history.

Lucky Washer? That's funny!!! :laugh:

Post edited by: CoreyClough, at: 2007/11/16 09:15

'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp

More
16 Nov 2007 08:35 #181323 by patmann
Replied by patmann on topic Recognize Oil Pan Debris?
OKC_Kent wrote:

And that's the lucky washer they toss into every 1000 engine...:whistle:

.<br><br>Post edited by: OKC_Kent, at: 2007/11/15 14:23

Well there's a DAMN lucky Yamaha out there someplace.
I had a buddy ( now dead ) who's girlfreinds ex boyfriend dumped a handfull of change and some nuts bolts and washers down his oil fill hole :pinch: :ohmy: :S :dry: :blink:
Seems the ex boyfriend was afraid to do anything to my buddy face to face over the girl, but decided this would mess him up:pinch:
At least that was the story. My buddy sold the bike about a year later with NO problems that we knew of.
Anybody have a 650 Yamaha with strange problems in the bottom end???
:whistle: :P
Pat

1974 900 Z1 modified to look like a LTD , some engine mods. But I still have all the original parts.
1977 1000 project bike
1972 H1 project bike
If pro is opposite of con, then what is the opposite of progress?