Aftermarket Slip on Mufflers:

More
10 Nov 2007 18:25 #180509 by twjoyce
Aftermarket Slip on Mufflers: was created by twjoyce
I bought a set of NOS aftermarket slip on mufflers for my 78 KZ650D (SR). They are E-Bay item number 250182809035 to see what they look like. I don't really see how they are installed. Do I have to cut the exhaust pipes to "slip them on" ?? They Clymer Manual I have doesn't explain it very well and says you must remove all the pipes. All I wanna do it change the mufflers. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks, Tom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• The Gringo
  • User
  • ¡Usted no necesita otra motocicleta!
More
10 Nov 2007 21:03 #180526 by The Gringo
Replied by The Gringo on topic Aftermarket Slip on Mufflers:
Just my opinion but I would not do anything to your existing exhaust other than to maybe give it a good cleaning. The stock SR exhaust systems are becoming very hard to find and as I recall yours is in pretty good shape. If you are determined to use those mufflers I would try to find some headpipes from a 650 B or a C to attach to those mufflers and hang the stock ones up in the garage somewhere. Looking at the mufflers you bought I would say yes they would require you to cut two of the pipes off the existing mufflers.

Andy
Akron, Ohio
80 Z-1 Classic-Sold
84 GPZ1100
79 KZ 1000 LTD
78 KZ 1000 A2
77 KZ 1000 LTD-Sold
76 KZ 900 The definition of a barn find
76 KZ 900-Sold gone to Denmark
KZ 750 times 3, KZ 650 times 8 Sold 1 down to 7
KZ 550 times 2 80 440LTD-Sold
81 CSR 305-Sold 81 Yamaha XS650 Special

More
11 Nov 2007 07:40 #180544 by twjoyce
Replied by twjoyce on topic Aftermarket Slip on Mufflers:
My bike looks good in the pictures but all the aluminum needs a lot of polishing and all the chrome has issues with rust and/or staining. There is slight rust on the mufflers and some deep stains that are not coming out. Looks to me like oil was spilt on them when they were very hot and it permiated into the finish. I just wanted some cool mufflers that have good chrome and these are period pieces and VERY nice. I'll have to decide which way to go I guess. Do the two outside mufflers come off the headpipes and not the inners? That's the way it looks to me. Thanks for the reply !!
Tom