Best oil for starting for first time in a long gime?

More
07 Nov 2007 21:34 #180074 by CruisingRam
Bike has been sitting for umpteen years, stored reasonably well, turns over, I wanna hit the starter after changing the oil.

I usually just dump out the old oil, put on a new filter, and just put in some regular old whatever I have new in a can laying around, usually 10-40 or 20-50,

If it starts, I let it run for just a sec, cut it off and change the oil, put in whatever FSM says to do,

any variations?

1975 Z1 B 900- soon to be heavily modded
Pahoa, Hawaii is my new hom
I am working hard to save up the shipping money to get my shop opened here in Hawaii
I hate electrical stuff.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Nov 2007 02:57 #180081 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic Best oil for starting for first time in a long gime?
Thats what I would do. You might want to pull the cam cover off and dump some on the cams and maybe put a squirt in the cylinders for luck. Smokes like a bitch but it'll clear up.

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

More
08 Nov 2007 06:19 #180098 by Bluemeanie
Ditto to above and I'll just add that if the bike runs ok, let it warm up real good before shutting down. You'll get more of the old oil out that way. ;)

Post edited by: Bluemeanie, at: 2007/11/08 09:21

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
08 Nov 2007 06:35 #180102 by ltdrider
I really don't think that these motors are too fussy about the type of oil. But for your climate, I'd use 10W-40 or strait 40W.

'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

More
08 Nov 2007 07:07 #180108 by Patton
As rings may be "sticking" in piston groves, would consider loading cylinders through spark plug holes with PBBlaster, Marvel Mystery Oil, or other light penetrating oil, and allow to soak for at least a week (replenish as needed) before cranking.

Then before starting the engine, would first crank it over with plugs removed for at least a minute or so in intervals of about 15 seconds each to assure crakcase oil is circulating throughout and into the cam area.

Next -- install plugs, cross fingers and start it up.

May be over-kill, but can't hurt and might prove beneficial. Course you'll never really know. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
12 Nov 2007 01:21 #180634 by larrycavan
Patton wrote:

As rings may be "sticking" in piston groves, would consider loading cylinders through spark plug holes with PBBlaster, Marvel Mystery Oil, or other light penetrating oil, and allow to soak for at least a week (replenish as needed) before cranking.

Then before starting the engine, would first crank it over with plugs removed for at least a minute or so in intervals of about 15 seconds each to assure crakcase oil is circulating throughout and into the cam area.

Next -- install plugs, cross fingers and start it up.

May be over-kill, but can't hurt and might prove beneficial. Course you'll never really know. :)

I agree with this method but with the following differences. Spray in the PB, leave the ignition off. Using the kick start, turn the motor over several times to force the PB into the top ring groove with cylinder pressure. Then give it one more dose of PB. Use a plastic straw on the spray nozzle and try to get the PB around the circumferance of the piston rather than just spraing it in randomly.

More
14 Nov 2007 08:25 #181018 by Makarth
i used about 3 tablespoons of chemtool and changed the oil after about 100 miles... the stuff that came out of the filter made me wanna gag.

1977 kz1000 - Megasquirt project @ 40% wiring, plenum, and exhaust<--(done!)

More
15 Nov 2007 11:51 #181202 by coppertales
As posted above, add some oil to the cylinders. Leave the plugs out and turn the engine over with the starter to let the oil pressure build up to pre oil everything. As these oil systems are high volume, low pressure, it won't take long to get everything oiled. Then after about 100 miles or so change the oil and filter.......chris3

1982 KZ1100 A2
1982 1100 SPECTRE
1982 1100 SPECTRE