81 GPz 1100 Starter Clutch

More
07 Nov 2007 19:32 #180061 by turpehar
81 GPz 1100 Starter Clutch was created by turpehar
Before I start let me say that I did search the archives and didn't find anything usefule on this topic.

I bought this bike in 2000. Until this year I had stored it. During the spring I started working on it. I replaced the FI and bought some rebuilt BS34's. I removed all the FI components. I plugged the injector holes, installed a new battery and took care of the electrical nightmare I inherited from the PO.

OK, so I get this thing running. I did find an air leak where I plugged the injector opening. I fixed that then went to start again and the starter clutch remains disengaged.

Somewhat releived that the bike is running after so many years I switch to the paint and body work portion. I just finished that this week.

I turn my attention to the starter clutch which at this point is still not engaging. I prooved this by removing the cover and the main gear moves both directions. The idle gear it tight, but I remove it to have a better look.

I sprayed some cleaner around and then I noticed that the main gear is now only moving one direction,,, like it is supposed to do.

My question is; could this all be the result of sitting for so long? The oil was pretty clean but I did notice some debris in the oil that came out.

Unfortunately I have no history on the bike. Either this thing was raced hardcore or the rear wheel was replaced. Reason I think so is because the rear wheel itself has 5 screw holes on eash side which apear to be what someone may have used as an external adhock beadlock. Anyone ever hear of this.

Sorry for the rambling. Here is a pic of what I'm working with. Your help is appreciated?

Before

Now

Post edited by: turpehar, at: 2007/11/08 08:33

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Nov 2007 05:34 #180090 by turpehar
Replied by turpehar on topic 81 GPz 1100 Starter Clutch
ttt

More
08 Nov 2007 09:31 #180126 by Lorcan
Replied by Lorcan on topic 81 GPz 1100 Starter Clutch
Might have just been some debris on the rollers, they are a bit sensitive. I'd leave it alone unless it plays up. Bike looks sweet B)

760cc - 8.69@162mph
810cc, 211mph www.750turbo.com
www.stormdragbike.com

More
08 Nov 2007 11:18 #180137 by turpehar
Replied by turpehar on topic 81 GPz 1100 Starter Clutch
Thanks