I have started the Bandit :D

More
05 Nov 2007 12:57 #179731 by TheDevilZX
I have started the Bandit :D was created by TheDevilZX
Alright, well last month I asked help from all of you about a 1992 GSF-400 Bandit, well today I got it running after cleaning the carbs and buying new plugs, methanol through the gas to clear out junk and give it a bit of life, engine puttered for about 5 minutes and then idled fine.

I am, however, concerned with a few things.

I am leaking coolant from a hose leading away from my coolant reservoir that is not connected to anything, I have a diagram of it here.

It just starts dripping when the engine is running and i rev.. What does this denote? I do not see in any diagram or read in any line that it should be connected to something, almost like an overflow..

Also, I am at a loss as to how to take the existing grips off and replace them with new ones..

I know that its newer and not a KZ but I do love coming to you all for advice, you gearheads really know how to help!

Post edited by: KZCSI, at: 2007/11/05 19:28

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Nov 2007 13:20 #179739 by tjhiggin
Replied by tjhiggin on topic I have started the Bandit :D
TheDevilZX wrote:

Also, I am at a loss as to how to take the existing grips off and replace them with new ones..

Congrats on your progress so far.

I recently replaced the grips on my 1100 and it was far easier than I expected. Use a flat screwdriver or similar tool to pry the grip away from the handlebar, then squirt some WD-40 into the opening. Work your way around the bar and soon you'll be able to slide the grip right off. This method worked fine on both the throttle and non-throttle grips.

T.J. in Huntsville, Alabama
1983 KZ1100-A3, 1974 Honda CB550-4
Previous bikes: CB100, TS125, CB175, KZ400, CB500-4

More
05 Nov 2007 15:11 #179752 by TheDevilZX
Replied by TheDevilZX on topic I have started the Bandit :D
Was there a plastic piece on the throttle side? because my throttle side has a plastic part wrapped around the bar itself, with what seems like teeth to grip onto a new rubber grip, or is this from an older grip?

More
05 Nov 2007 15:17 #179753 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic I have started the Bandit :D
The bottle that hose is connected to is the coolant overflow. Basically when the coolant in the radiator gets hot it expands and the excess "overflows" into that bottle. After you park the bike for the night it cools down and contracts which causes a suction to be created which pulls coolant from overflow back into the radiator. Bottle should be about 1/3 to 1/2 (should be marked "low-high" or "cold-hot") full. You probably have waaaay too much coolant in it so when engine warms up it pushes coolant into overflow which is maybe already full so it comes out of the overflow hose. That hose will just dangle somewhere, it does not connect to anything. Also, you may need to check your radiator cap as it is supposed to release pressure at a certain point (usually printed on cap) yours may be bad which causes it to start releasing coolant right away.

Post edited by: Bluemeanie, at: 2007/11/05 18:20

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!