Air suction system on a 1980KZ1000shaft?

More
01 Nov 2007 08:07 #179130 by Volktron58
Air suction system on a 1980KZ1000shaft? was created by Volktron58
Ive got some pretty serious air noises that normally occur on deceleration. According to the manual I think I have a problem with my A.S.S. I have continued to ride the bike Is this a problem? Neither the manual or shop manual do a very good job of showing me where this assembly is? Anybody? Thank you in advance for your reply.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Nov 2007 12:34 #179152 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Air suction system on a 1980KZ1000shaft?
The Air Suction System is comprised of a number of components and is intended to send unburned combustion products into runners adjacent to the exhaust ports and burn the stuff. On your valve cover are two reed valves which accomplish this if the system is working properly. They are the ugly gizmos on each side of the valve cover with hoses attached. The hoses are part of the system and connect to the switch (as well as the airbox) that opens and closes the reed valves. The switch is a gold tinted metal cylinder about 3 inches long and about 1.5 inches in diameter. This is a vacuum switch. There is a small vacuum line attached to the switch as well as the larger hoses. The vacuum line goes to a tee fitting and the legs (more small lines) go to you #1 and #4 vacuum ports.

Many folks remove this junk. Reasons/Benefits:
a. less junk to fail
b. less junk to clutter under the tank
c. less backfiring on decelleration

To remove:
1. Remove hoses from fittings on reed valve plates on valve cover. Plug or block the fittings. You can fill the fittings with black RTV or put plastic caps on them... DO NOT remove the reed valve plates as there are gaskets under the plates which will leak air, if removed.
2. Remove the vacuum switch and all other hoses. You might want to plug the hole left in your airbox. Put caps on the vacuum fittings on the #1 and #4 carbs or carburetor holders.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
12 Jun 2008 11:15 #219629 by Volktron58
Replied by Volktron58 on topic Air suction system on a 1980KZ1000shaft?
I now have fuel in the airbox, so it's got me on the war path. I began removing the A.S.S. and failed in not removing plates that cover the reeds(4 bolts), big mistake right. I was following the service manual on how to check reeds and didn't refer to the info you provided months ago. I guess I need to reseal this plates, but how? I also am not sure as to how I go about sealing up the holes left from removing the A.S.S., black rtv right, but how? Why might I have fuel in the airbox? Thanks alot I'm just sick that my bike is on the sidelines. I guess it's time for me to learn more about my bike. Thanks in advance if you choose to reply.

• riverroad
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
12 Jun 2008 11:27 #219634 by riverroad
Replied by riverroad on topic Air suction system on a 1980KZ1000shaft?
As an alternative to sealing the holes shut, I used a piece of black garden hose to connect the two fittings. Fit's the nipples nicely. Hardly see it under the tank. I didn't think it would last very long, but it's been on there a couple years now and hasn't fallen apart yet. But when it does, I still have 49 feet of the stuff left.:laugh:

• riverroad
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
12 Jun 2008 11:35 #219637 by riverroad
Replied by riverroad on topic Air suction system on a 1980KZ1000shaft?
I've never taken the reed covers off my bike, but if it were me, I'd take said cover and clamp it up in a rag lined vise, put a piece of gasket material over the flange and tap out the new gasket with a ball pean hammer.
Very common practice at navy ship yards. Just gotta tap real easy on aluminum parts.

More
12 Jun 2008 11:53 #219644 by Jack
Replied by Jack on topic Air suction system on a 1980KZ1000shaft?
A third option- remove the system and replace the rocker cover with a CDN. casting- no EPA crap on the MKll's sold in Canada.APE make nice looking block off plated but the rocker covers are still fugly imho.

79 KZ 1075 MKll
79 KZ 1500 MKll dragbike
Gone but not forgotten:
3 X 73 Z1's
1 X 74 Z1A
1 X 75 Z1B

More
12 Jun 2008 12:31 #219652 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Air suction system on a 1980KZ1000shaft?
Don't take off the reed valve covers. They have gaskets you can ruin. Just plug the big ports/sleeves that the hoses connected to with SILICON... black RTV works... just fill the hole so it is plugged. RTV can be purchased at ANY auto parts store.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
13 Jun 2008 13:00 #219836 by coppertales
Replied by coppertales on topic Air suction system on a 1980KZ1000shaft?
I just cut a piece of the large hose that ran from the suction valve to the air cleaner to fit between the two nipples on the valve cover. It has been just fine the last 15 years.....chris3

1982 KZ1100 A2
1982 1100 SPECTRE
1982 1100 SPECTRE

More
13 Jun 2008 14:37 #219852 by APE Jay

More
29 Jun 2008 00:06 #222752 by 77KZ650
Replied by 77KZ650 on topic Air suction system on a 1980KZ1000shaft?
those APE plates are nice. I have a set of Muzzy plates on my 12, and i modified the stock ones on dads. a little JB Weld, black paint and presto, cheap block offs. get rid of all the air injection crap and plug any lines going to the carbs from it. its called the KLEEN air system on a 12. basically the same as everything else they started putting on the bikes when the emissions laws got more strict.

riverroad, why dont you just trace the old gasket or cover and cut it out with a utility knife? no risk of hammer damage

07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH