Pitting..

• violentvintagecycles
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
31 Oct 2007 10:51 #178972 by violentvintagecycles
Pitting.. was created by violentvintagecycles
How do i get this motor clean without blasting, and without removing the motor? Ive tried a few things, from simple soap and water, to simple green, to degreaser, mothers aluminum, and just bought clr but it says not to use on aluminum. The cases are aluminum and not stainless, correct?
Motor is pitted pretty bad, been sitting for a loooong time.. But im more anal about getting it ready to ride then cleaning it. :whistle: Might as well be consistent, my car has coffee cups stacked to the ceiling! :laugh:
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• violentvintagecycles
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
31 Oct 2007 13:45 #179000 by violentvintagecycles
Replied by violentvintagecycles on topic Pitting..
Anyone?

• Skyman
  • User
  • 1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD 1982 KZ1000-M2 CSR
More
31 Oct 2007 14:02 #179007 by Skyman
Replied by Skyman on topic Pitting..
Blasting would be easiest, after you get the engine off. Other than that, sanding?

West Linn, OR

More
31 Oct 2007 14:04 #179009 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Pitting..
I like WD40 and steel wool or Scotchbrite pads for getting rid of crud like that but I've never done it on painted surfaces. My solution there - and I'd rather ride than clean - is simple green and a stiff nylon brush followed by a hose down and a coat of barbecue paint. :) :)

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

• violentvintagecycles
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
31 Oct 2007 17:05 #179029 by violentvintagecycles
Replied by violentvintagecycles on topic Pitting..
JR- Only half the engine is painted, the other side isnt, or the paint is worn off at least. I tried simple green, didnt work. Cleaned it, but when it dried the pitting came back. I will try the wd40 tho, thanks
Skyman- Sanding huh? I was afraid someone would say that, sanding makes my skin crawl! :pinch: But if the wd40 doesnt work, ill try that too. Thanks

More
01 Nov 2007 12:13 #179146 by jdburke
Replied by jdburke on topic Pitting..
Are you looking to paint this motor? Or, are you looking for that bright clean aluminum look? If you're going to paint the engine there are some acid based cleaners that you can use that will eat the crud off (they're also not very kind to painted frames) but you'll have to neutralize the cleaner and then coat the aluminum or next time they'll corrode worse than ever.

John

1978 KZ 1000A2
N.E. Oklahoma

More
01 Nov 2007 13:08 #179158 by patmann
Replied by patmann on topic Pitting..
The machinest who did my engine work said to buy ALUMINUM JELLY and follow the directions!!
I haven't tired it because I bead blasted the cases @ home. But he's an old Kaw man and seems to know what he's talking about..
Pat

1974 900 Z1 modified to look like a LTD , some engine mods. But I still have all the original parts.
1977 1000 project bike
1972 H1 project bike
If pro is opposite of con, then what is the opposite of progress?