replacing engine... what do I need?

More
25 Oct 2007 16:38 #178120 by terps19
replacing engine... what do I need? was created by terps19
I am going to replace an engine that has 77k on a 1981 kz750 with another that has less than 9k (Gotta love winter projects). I am wondering what I need to do this... gasket, seal etc wise?

I am assuming that I will go into the valves and adjust them as well as clean out the carbs. So I will need a new head cover gasket? should I buy 4 new carb rebuild sets? What about exhaust gaskets?

This is my first time working with a Kaw and I dont like the Haynes manual for this model. Should I invest in a Kawasaki factory manual? I see some online but they are a bit pricey.

This is a great site by the way.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!:laugh:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Oct 2007 16:53 #178124 by fixer5000
Replied by fixer5000 on topic replacing engine... what do I need?
i would buy the factory manuals. they are invaluable for these bikes and not that exspensive to buy. yep id adjust valves or at least check the clearances, replace top cover gasket and why not rebuild the carbs too? easy doings for winter boredom round here. lots of good advice to be had on this site too just ask...steve

1978 kz650b pretty much stock
\\\\\\\" get there fast but arrive alive \\\\\\\"
massachusetts
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
25 Oct 2007 19:57 #178157 by The Milkman
Replied by The Milkman on topic replacing engine... what do I need?
If your old engine was running well, why not just swap the carbs to the new engine then rebuild the ones off the new engine in your leisure. If you are sure the engine only has 9k on it,, do a compression and leak down test to check the rings and valves, if it shows good, do valve adjustment check to be sure they are ok. And replace the valve cover gasket. Get new exhaust rings and it seems you would be good to go.
Ride safe

78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
26 Oct 2007 09:57 #178250 by terps19
Replied by terps19 on topic replacing engine... what do I need?
Thank you milkman and steve!

Unfortunately I cannot do a compression test as the bike with the engine with 9k doesnt have the wiring harness on it anymore and doesnt have a battery also the ehaust pipes are off... I figure instead of putting the bike back together to do a compression test, I just swap out the engines and then do a compression test. If need be I believe that I can check and adjust valve clearances with the engine in the frame???

Or if there is an easier and or better way I am always open and will porbably take your suggestions.

So as of now this is the start of the list:
1. Valve cover/top gasket ($$?)
2. 4 carb rebuild kits (are they really $35 for each carb???)
3. Exhaust rings
4. Factory manual

More
26 Oct 2007 10:04 #178251 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic replacing engine... what do I need?
Be careful un-bolting the engine. The one-way nuts sometimes strip the bolts. The bolts are $$$$.

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
More
26 Oct 2007 11:30 #178259 by CoreyClough
Replied by CoreyClough on topic replacing engine... what do I need?
Do what I did when I wanted to check a used engine(~5000 miles on it). I transfered "said" engine, hooked everything up, and it started, but ran a little odd. I performed a compression check, and found one cylinder very low to the others. Performed a valve clearance check, and saw that one exhaust wasn't measureable, so I adjusted(reshimmed) it. Ran fine afterwards.
-I'd recommend checking the valve clerances before starting.
-No telling how long it's been sitting, so add a little engine oil in the spark plug holes, and turn it over by hand.
-Replace the engine oil and filter with fresh, and turn it over by hand or with power before starting.
-I removed the oil pan on mine, to see if there's issues(silver shavings, previous owners watch... :lol: ) inside. Luckily there wasn't anything. My engine was sitting for more that 8 years.

'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp

More
26 Oct 2007 13:10 #178270 by terps19
I hope I am as lucky as you Corey. And thanks for the information. I have a question though.

You say to turn the engine over by hand... I dont think I have a kick starter on my 81 KZ750 E2... so how do I turn it over by hand? Might be a real stupid question but forgive me pls!! :laugh:

thanks

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
More
26 Oct 2007 16:29 #178289 by CoreyClough
Replied by CoreyClough on topic replacing engine... what do I need?
Remove the right side ignition cover. There's a bolt you can put a socket on, and turn it over. Remember to remove the spark plugs, as this will make it easier. Turn it clockwise.

If you have the engine installed, and the chain hooked up, put the bike in 3rd gear(spark plugs removed), and spin the rear wheel in normal rotation.

'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp

More
29 Oct 2007 10:40 #178670 by terps19
Just a little update...

I got the first engine out of the first frame this past weekend. It wasnt really as hard as I thought but I think putting the engine back into the frame will be a little harder.

Should I check the valve clearances now or wait until it is in the frame?

Do you guys think I should totally rebuild the better carbs? I think this would require 4 rebuild kits that are about $15 each... does this sound right?

Hopefully I will have the other bike prepped this week and have the second engine out and maybe even bolt in the 8k mi engine in the nicer looking frame!

Exciting times!