Roaring noise and strippled plug holes...

More
30 Oct 2007 09:17 #178814 by jdburke
Replied by jdburke on topic Roaring noise and strippled plug holes...
It works too.

John

John

1978 KZ 1000A2
N.E. Oklahoma

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Oct 2007 08:26 #178952 by CptEDIV
Replied by CptEDIV on topic Roaring noise and strippled plug holes...
Alright, so the chaser worked perfect. I spread a little all purpose grease around the hole and it picked up all the particles, spark plug went in perfect after that. I poured some oil into the cylinder and let it sit for awhile, the turned the engine over with the nut under the rightside engine cover, (Whats that called?) a few times. I had just bought a battery a week ago and had it charging, so I picked that up and put that in. When I hit the starter, I just get that heavy sounding click. When I kick it over it doesn't seem to even try.. The battery overstayed its visit at the parts store, I don't know if maybe it just sat too long or charged to long, or what.. What should I check?? So confused, thanks for any help.

-Ed

1979 KZ 650 D2 \"Midnight\" blue.

• riverroad
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
31 Oct 2007 09:23 #178961 by riverroad
Replied by riverroad on topic Roaring noise and strippled plug holes...
Did you put some antiseize on your plug before you put it in? Very important. Without it you stand a good chance of pulling more threads next time you pull the plug. Grease will carbonize and actually make it harder to pull. Steel threads in an aluminum head always should be antiseized
Don't know about you battery. Is there enough acid in it? Hope you didn't boil it out during the charge. Otherwise check all of your connections from battery to relay to starter. Make sure they're not loose or corroded.

More
31 Oct 2007 09:37 #178963 by CptEDIV
Didn't use antiseize... Aghh. I'll get some on it today. I'll check acid levels and take it to get the charge checked again... Thanks.

-ed

More
31 Oct 2007 17:01 #179028 by CptEDIV
Ok, so acid levels were fine, I took a hammer and tapped the starter while trying to start it, and it kicked over. Put anti seize on the plug. Still real loud though.. And I got alot of gray smoke coming out of the right tail pipe, 1 and 4 cylinders. I put sea foam in it... What could it be? Idling just right, which is something I've never really had before hah. Seems to run well, just loud with a tiny bit of backfire everyonce and awhile with gray smoke.. Tell me whatcha think, thanks.

Ed

More
31 Oct 2007 17:31 #179033 by jdburke
The smoke is most likely the oil you put in the cylinder. It should go away after the engine runs a little bit. (If you put a lot of oil in the cylinder and it spit it out into the header it may take a little longer for the exhaust to clean up.)

Not real sure about the noise. does it sound like it's in the exhaust? or coming from somewhere else. (air box, duct hoses, etc.) If it sounds like exhaust, you might try blocking the exhaust off (block one muffler with a rag shoved up the pipe and use another rag on the other side to cover and uncover the hole) to see if it has any effect on the noise. There aren't very many places the noise can come from, you might have to just rule them out one at a time.

John

John

1978 KZ 1000A2
N.E. Oklahoma

More
31 Oct 2007 17:38 #179039 by CptEDIV
Ran it for a good 5 minutes... Still smoking though. I don't know where the noise is coming from.. Whole thing is just loud haha. Doesn't seem to wanna stop smokin. Could it be fuel additive? The seafoam?
-ED

More
01 Nov 2007 04:29 #179094 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic Roaring noise and strippled plug holes...
Seafoam could make it smoke, a lot. When it's sprayed or poured directly in the intakes when the engine is running it will really lay out a cloud.

Double check your oil level, on the centerstand. It needs to be between the two marks on the sight glass. Excess oil can be blown out the breather, into the airbox, and back into the engine making smoke. But personally I think most of the time it sits in the airbox and drips out the tube.

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

More
01 Nov 2007 08:11 #179131 by CptEDIV
Wouldnt it smoke from both pipes if it was just the sea foam? How far do you back out the mixture screws on the carbs..? I usually turn them 1 and 1/4 out after it lightly seats..

-Ed

More
01 Nov 2007 08:29 #179132 by jdburke
If it's only smoking from one pipe it's probably the oil that was poured in the cylinder. Your mixture screw adjustment sounds close also. How much seafoam did you add to the fuel?

John

1978 KZ 1000A2
N.E. Oklahoma

More
01 Nov 2007 22:54 #179234 by CptEDIV
Quarter of a can... Ok so I had a vacuum line unplugged.. I set the screws to 1 and a half, and for the first time in at least 4 months I went on a cruise, no smoke or problems. After a few minutes of riding I turn into my driveway, only to have my throttle cable break... I just bought it a couple weeks ago, but didn't oil it before I put it on... Aghh.. So now the wait for the new cable. I just got a taste of riding, it was cut so short :(.