1st time ever launch

• mark1122
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
22 Oct 2007 07:09 #177540 by mark1122
1st time ever launch was created by mark1122
I when out on the back roads for my 1st ever test launch today. i came back puzzled. If i dump the clutch she stalls ? even at 8500 rpm. The front wheel would come up an inch and it would stall every time.i had too slip the clutch to get going. i know your suposed to slip the clutch but it shouldnt stall. Whats up with that?? the roads are cold and the tire didnt seem to be braking loose either ?? ive heard if u dont have enough spark u can blow out the flame ,but i have a new Dyna 2000 and 2.2 coils.?? 155 psi compression. could this be rich or lean ?plug color looks good .anyone have any ideas? same bike as sig bellow.

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Oct 2007 08:31 #177563 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 1st time ever launch
Would double-check ignition timing, and especially operation of advancer unit to assure it's not sticking in the retarded idle position. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
22 Oct 2007 08:37 #177565 by bill_wilcox100
Replied by bill_wilcox100 on topic 1st time ever launch
Have you done the WG Coil Re-powering mod to be sure that you have the full spark your new Dyna coils were designed to deliver?

Best of success!

Post edited by: bill_wilcox100, at: 2007/10/22 11:38

1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Dyna S Electronic Ignition (DS2-2)
- Dyna 3 Ohm Coils (DC1-1)
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Progressive Springs Front & Rear
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
- New Metallic Red Re-Paint & Repro Badges.
Montreal, Canada

More
22 Oct 2007 10:46 #177605 by Makarth
Replied by Makarth on topic 1st time ever launch
uh uh uh!!! i know this one i think... haha. when i first got my bike and went on our maiden voyage she behaved exactly how you explained except i didnt dare rev it that high. Anyways the problem ended up being that 2 of the carbs were starving the engine. Without a load it didnt bother the engine at all but as soon as i started to feather the clutch it would die. I ended up buying a box of BB's and shaking the gas tank for a good hour and a half with some chemtool in it too, cleaned the petcock, and actually put on the inline filters in the correct direction (previous owner wasnt very smart) and poof she fired up great and hauls all sorts of ass (including mine). I have videos on youtube with the before and after. :)

Post edited by: Makarth, at: 2007/10/23 00:00

1977 kz1000 - Megasquirt project @ 40% wiring, plenum, and exhaust<--(done!)