Cleaning my Engine inside and out.

More
13 Jan 2006 12:00 #17732 by jimyed
Cleaning my Engine inside and out. was created by jimyed
Hello everyone.

I am rebuilding the engine on my KZ550 over this winter. I have the top end disassembled for the most part (heads off but not apart) so far everything looks okay to rebuild. I have VERY little cash so I am doing this on a shoestring. Aside from taking the parts into a shop for clean up does anyone have any ideas on how to get the Gunk off? Specifically in want to clean the Oil/Dirt from the out side of the motor and the carbon etc. from the ports, Valves and pistons.

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
More
13 Jan 2006 12:19 #17734 by Biquetoast
Replied by Biquetoast on topic Cleaning my Engine inside and out.
For the outside gunk, I read people praise Sinple Green, so I got some and tried it. It actually works pretty well, if you use alot of it and leave it on for a bit.

(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

• wireman
  • Visitor
13 Jan 2006 14:06 #17742 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Cleaning my Engine inside and out.
for the aluminum stuff the best way i know is glassbeading,but you have to have everthing apart and make sure you clean everything afterwards very good!goodluck,happy wrenching!

More
13 Jan 2006 14:25 #17747 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic Cleaning my Engine inside and out.
I cleaned my engine with a ZEP orange degreaser I got at Home Depot. Spray it on. let it sit, scrub a bit, rinse off. It worked good, but took a few cycles and I had to buy a few different brushes to get in all the nooks and crannies. It's harder to do with the engine in a bike, but if yours is taken apart it should be a breeze to do in the sink or bathtub.

You can clean the cases in your dishwasher, when the wife is gone. Try a test piece as the detergent may discolor the aluminum a bit. Search the web for this beforehand. Need a good clean water rinse after. Just run another cycle without soap.
Oven cleaner will clean cases good, but again will discolor the aluminum if left on too long.
Then you can always take the cases to the pressure car wash and blast it.

Check this link out, good stuff about aluminum cleaning. Someone there said carb cleaner will take carbon off pistons. I haven't tried it yet.

www.thevincent.com/vinpolish.html

Post edited by: OKC_Kent, at: 2006/01/13 17:36

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

More
13 Jan 2006 16:12 #17757 by kzcory
Replied by kzcory on topic Cleaning my Engine inside and out.
if you have the top end of the motor off you can have them tank boiled and crack checked. It won't cost much and it will get the gunk off. It WILL NOT however remove all of the corrosion and stains deep in the aluminum. It doesn't cost that much and will save a lot of headaches from screwing around with degreaser. I have had luck with a product called "greased lightning" It must have some type of acid in the formula because it cleans off the grime, and leaves the aluminum with a dull but very clean look.

More
16 Jan 2006 12:39 #18153 by RomSpaceKnight
Replied by RomSpaceKnight on topic Cleaning my Engine inside and out.
Biodegradeable degreaser, soap and water, WD40 (actually cuts grease and grime pretty good), solvents (turpentine, varsol, gas (be careful, wear gloves, no fire, watch for rubber parts)), elbow grease, SOS pad, stiff brushes