I know its not a KZ, but needs engine help!

More
20 Oct 2007 07:44 #177218 by TheDevilZX
So, after buying my KZ650 and loving it, I've decided to purchase a bit newer of a bike, with working tach/speedo along with a newer body style and a bit more to work with as for modding.

I just recently purchased a 1992 GSF400 Bandit S 9900 miles, clip ons, GSX-R Custom exhaust, LED lit gauges, with a complete 2nd engine, a 2nd un-rusted/un-dented tank, OEM mirrors, tank bra, and some misc parts, for 1600 bucks. The only thing that I could see wrong is that there is an oil leak where a seal broke "30 bucks, quoted" and the right fork seals are leaking "60 dollar job". :)!

Now, the electrical system is perfect, and the bike fires and seems to get spark, but it will not start. The motor turns and I can hear it try to start, the exhaust starts rumbling like its weakly beginning to, but nothing at all after about 30 seconds. Now, the man I bought it from was using a spray jet fuel sort of mixture INTO the carbs to kind of see if that would start it, and it'd get the bike damn near ignition, so we pulled the plugs, and they were coated "after having them put in, new" with a light layer of brown/black buildup, after a few attempts at starting. We cleaned each plug, and tried over and over, nothing. He did mention the gas had set for over 2 months, and I had slapped my forehead at hearing that.. SO im thinking that has a bit to do with it, maybe.

What else could it be? I know its not a KZ, but this thing is beautiful. And anyone in the TULSA OKLAHOMA area would be appreciated, if they were to lend a hand. I'll buy you lunch! Eh? Eh? :)

Adam-

Post edited by: TheDevilZX, at: 2007/10/20 10:47
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Oct 2007 08:33 #177227 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic I know its not a KZ, but needs engine help!
Devil, I like it!! You might have to remove and clean carbs but try dumping old gas and refilling with fresh. I've seen fresh gas start a bike and with some riding will get better and better and eventually "clean" itself up! P.S. "ends tonight"? The lunch offer??!! :woohoo:

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
20 Oct 2007 08:33 #177228 by flht1997
Replied by flht1997 on topic I know its not a KZ, but needs engine help!
check compression and clean the carbs. then go from there.

Matt Milwaukee, WI
75' KZ400, (5) 78' KZ400, 76' KZ 750, 78' KZ650
78'CB750F, 78' CB550K
89' BMW R100RT
05' H-D Electra Glide
06' KLR650
Do it right or don't bother doing it at all.

More
20 Oct 2007 22:14 #177333 by Makarth
Replied by Makarth on topic I know its not a KZ, but needs engine help!
uh uh uh !! find a really large hill in Oklahoma and then push it down this large hill you happened to find in Oklahoma and then ride down the hill you found in Oklahoma in 2nd or 3rd gear with fresh gas... im sorry i couldn't help it... i feel ashamed :S

1977 kz1000 - Megasquirt project @ 40% wiring, plenum, and exhaust<--(done!)

More
20 Oct 2007 23:36 #177337 by ronjones
Replied by ronjones on topic I know its not a KZ, but needs engine help!
Fresh gas w/seafoam, clean plugs... maybe need to use Makarth's start method:);). If that doesn't work, clean carbs, check compression...etc.
Good Luck

'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades

More
21 Oct 2007 02:38 #177342 by TheDevilZX
Replied by TheDevilZX on topic I know its not a KZ, but needs engine help!
Thanks a bunch.

I have another question, though.

I understand that the KZ650 is quite a large engine, yet weighs a substantial amount. I love my 77' 650, and its fun as hell to show up a kid with daddy's car, thinkin "oh that broke ass bike is old" :) *BE SAFE RIDERS! DONT RACE!* But..

How does the performance and overall top speed/shifting/revving match up with the GSF400? Can anyone tell me if the GSF is going to be slower than my KZ, or if being lighter and newer will prove to be quicker? I'd like some info, because none of the sites im going to to compare the two together are giving me anything!

Cheers :)

More
21 Oct 2007 07:56 #177362 by roboto65
Replied by roboto65 on topic I know its not a KZ, but needs engine help!
I would have to say the idle jets are clogged so cleaning the carbs would be the best bet fresh gas and Seafoam might do it if you can get the Gas Seafoam mix in there and let it set for day or so !!!!

More
21 Oct 2007 08:42 #177371 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic I know its not a KZ, but needs engine help!
The 400 will be the same but most likly faster than the 650. Hate to say it but newer smaller motors are now getting faster and faster! The "new" Kawasaki Ninja 650 is a 2 cyl and would dust my 650!!:dry:

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!
Attachments:

More
21 Oct 2007 19:29 #177466 by Makarth
Replied by Makarth on topic I know its not a KZ, but needs engine help!
yea but nothing beats the throbbing noise of a inline 4 with old DOHC techonology. It sounds like clock work....is so frickin awesome

1977 kz1000 - Megasquirt project @ 40% wiring, plenum, and exhaust<--(done!)

• jjdwoodman
  • User
  • Live free, or die.
More
21 Oct 2007 20:20 #177476 by jjdwoodman
Replied by jjdwoodman on topic I know its not a KZ, but needs engine help!
Hey!
Great to see another Tulsan!

I'm just south on 66 in Bristow. If the seafoam won't do the trick, maybe we can get our heads together.

If it does work, drop by, and we'll stick it up next to my 77 650. and we can put that question to bed. (After the bones heal of course):S

77 650b
81 550 Mostly there
83 ZN1300 Voyager

More
21 Oct 2007 22:58 #177503 by TheDevilZX
Awesome, that would be really cool. Well, as is, I have no trailer to tote it anywhere, so bristow would be quite a haul to push a 300 pound vehicle into :p

I'll try the new gas/seafoam tactic, and go from there. If its not going to help, I live in South Tulsa, near Jenks. If you'd like to help, it'd be cool to sit down and spend a day on the thing and go riding after we GET it working, if its not already :p

And yes, that would be awesome to finally put to rest :p I also have a 77 650' ;)

More
22 Oct 2007 23:31 #177731 by TheDevilZX
By the way, how much seafoam to add to the mixture of gas?