Replace entire engine or just transmission?

More
19 Oct 2007 14:26 #177110 by terps19
Recently purchased 1981 KZ750 with 77,000 miles on it that leaks engine oil. At the same time I also bought another KZ750 same year model etc- but it was in poor cosmetic condition and was missing some parts (The missing parts are mostly on the bike that has 77k on it). The other KZ750 only has 8,500 miles on that engine.

At first I had the idea of replacing the compelte engine/motor on the 77k bike with the engine of the 8.5k bike. (I have to check the compression of the 8.5k bike first).

Now I am wondering if I should just replace the transmission of the 77k mi bike???

Obviously if I just replaced the transmission I would have to fix the oil leaks by replacing all seals and gaskets. I want to make the nicer looking bike last longer.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Oct 2007 14:35 #177112 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Replace entire engine or just transmission?
Just pick the best frame of the two and assemble all the best parts of the two bikes on that frame.

If I was going to open up a 77,000 mile 750 motor, I wouldn't put it back together again without a complete rebuild.

There's just not enough likely lifetime left on a 77k mile 750 four to justify doing anything less.

KD9JUR

More
19 Oct 2007 15:53 #177117 by terps19
Replied by terps19 on topic Replace entire engine or just transmission?
Cool Thanks! Then I will go woth my original plan. The 77k mi bike has most of the best parts on it already but it is the engine that is the killer there. So I will swap the two engines and go from there.

The only thing that I could really want off of the other bike is the 4 into 1 headers and muffler.

I like the look of the KZ750 and would like to have the finsihed project running for years and years to come. Any other advice or imput is always welcome!

More
19 Oct 2007 19:30 #177152 by themachine
Replied by themachine on topic Replace entire engine or just transmission?
replace the steering head, wheel and swingarm bearings/bushings, old bikes get worn out in other areas too, but these specific areas can KILL YOU, bad bushings and bearing may lead to speed wobble and these old kaws are known for it, at most you'll spend 120$ on all of them but is being cheap worth risking your life?

i ubgraded the steering head bearing and replaced the front wheel bearings on my 82 1000 and it only has 35k on it.

check your tires too, old flat style ones are known to wobble too.

82 kawaski csr1000 Evolved into a streetfighter.

I love Speed! Hot Nasty Badass Speed!!!

More
22 Oct 2007 09:52 #177584 by terps19
Replied by terps19 on topic Replace entire engine or just transmission?
Thanks machine

I dont mind spending a few extra bucks to make the biker safer to ride. Thanks for the suggestions