Complete engine/motor tune up

More
18 Oct 2007 11:10 #176920 by terps19
Complete engine/motor tune up was created by terps19
Hey all-

First time poster first time Kawasaki owner.

I recently bought 2 1981 Kawasaki KZ750 E's one that runs and looks pretty good with 77,000 miles on it and the other more or less a parts bike with only 8,000 miles on it. I want to swap the engines to make the nicer looking bike have an engine with only 8k on it.

In the process I also plan on cleaning the carbs (would you recommend rebuilding them?), all fuild changes, o rings and seals and engine gasket replaced and check engine compression. Should I replace stator, magneto and such???

Is there anything else I should do or inspect before putting the lower mileage engine in? Should I break it all down and replace all the gaskets and such?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!! I also wanted to make the less attractive one into a cafe racer- but I dont know how much more the parts bike needs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Oct 2007 12:39 #176929 by mariozappa
Replied by mariozappa on topic Complete engine/motor tune up
You don't have to replace the stator or magneto. If you have the factory manual you can test the stator to see if the electrical output passes the test.

Parts bike with only 8,000 miles?!?!? Definitely do a compression test.

The gaskets should be ok as long as there are no leaks already. If you check the valve clearances, you will need a new valve cover gasket.

You can get most parts at z1enterprises.com

1977 KZ650C1
and the KZ650/KZ750 Conversion ;)

More
18 Oct 2007 13:04 #176932 by terps19
Replied by terps19 on topic Complete engine/motor tune up
mariozappa wrote:

You don't have to replace the stator or magneto. If you have the factory manual you can test the stator to see if the electrical output passes the test.

Parts bike with only 8,000 miles?!?!? Definitely do a compression test.

The gaskets should be ok as long as there are no leaks already. If you check the valve clearances, you will need a new valve cover gasket.

You can get most parts at z1enterprises.com

Well the only reason I call it a parts bike is because it doesnt have a battery, headlight, mirrors, fender, and the paint on the tank sucks etc... The person who sold me both bikes had the "parts" bike running about a year ago but didnt have the money to make it steet legal.

I will do the compression tests as recommended. Can I still do the test w/o the carbs? I took them off a few days ago and started to clean them. I should be getting the shop manual in the mail today!!

More
18 Oct 2007 13:18 #176934 by mariozappa
Replied by mariozappa on topic Complete engine/motor tune up
Yes you can do the compression test without the carbs on.
IF you do the test with the carbs on you should hold the throttle WIDE OPEN when you do the test.

1977 KZ650C1
and the KZ650/KZ750 Conversion ;)

More
18 Oct 2007 13:32 #176938 by terps19
Replied by terps19 on topic Complete engine/motor tune up
Great Thanks!!! Will let you know how it goes. This is my first Kawasaki bike... and first bike with carbs!