Backfire.. No start.

More
19 Oct 2007 09:49 #177073 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic Backfire.. No start.
I think the idle will settle down as the WD-40 is drawn into and temporarily seals the air leak. Smoke a little too, then it goes back to what it was doing before.

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Oct 2007 11:08 #177087 by CptEDIV
Replied by CptEDIV on topic Backfire.. No start.
I heard also it could be junk in the carbs from sitting... I don't have internet at my house so I try to get as many ideas and post as much information as I can before I go home to work on it. So I heard sea foam, or disconnect the airbox from the carbs, run the bike and cover each air intake and give it gas, if gunky carbs is the problem. Is that a good idea?
-Ed

1979 KZ 650 D2 \"Midnight\" blue.

More
19 Oct 2007 20:19 #177160 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Backfire.. No start.
CptEDIV wrote:

...its doin a funny thing it used to do, when I give it gas, the RPMs go up and stay for about 2-3 seconds, before returning to about 1, and then idles rough. I can start it, get it to a good sound idle at 1- 1 1/2 RPM, but if I rev it, it stays up then when comes down I have to set the idle higher or constantly give it a little gas to keep it running....

Has operation of the ignition timing advancer unit been checked with a strobe-type timing light to assure quick return of advancer to idle position when throttle is closed? :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD