lockhart oil cooler

More
14 Oct 2007 07:36 #176112 by arobsum
lockhart oil cooler was created by arobsum
what do you think would be a good price for one of these in good shape? no extra fittings, just the cooler. i know a guy that will sell me one for $25.00....i'm not sure my old kz1000 really needs one...do most of you guys run oil coolers?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Oct 2007 07:42 #176113 by themachine
Replied by themachine on topic lockhart oil cooler
its reccomended, your engine is oil cooled as well as air.

its like putting a bigger trans cooler on a fast musclecar, if your going to drive it for long periods and pound on it in hot weather it will give the trans a longer life period therfor saving you moneys.

i paid 19$ on fleabay -shipping for my gpz cooler, and it came with the lines but not the fittings so 25 sounds fair if its in healty shape.

82 kawaski csr1000 Evolved into a streetfighter.

I love Speed! Hot Nasty Badass Speed!!!

More
14 Oct 2007 09:42 #176125 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic lockhart oil cooler
I've had my bike for 30 years and never used or needed an oil cooler, but my 650 is stock so it cools itself very well as originally designed. Your bike isn't stock, so it may be generating heat beyond the cooling capacity of the fins. You might first find a way to measure your oil temperature to see what temperature it's running at. If it's pretty hot, and you add an oil cooler, you could then see how much difference the cooler makes. I think we would all be interested to see the results. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
14 Oct 2007 15:09 #176161 by nads.com
Replied by nads.com on topic lockhart oil cooler
driving long periods keeps the temp in check, even if it's hot weather, it's when u slow down the temp rises. And it rises fast. Driving on the freeway I reach down and hold my hand to the alt. cover. I should be able to hold it against for at least a few seconds. When i have to jerk my hand away almost immediatly, the motor is running hot. Doesn't matter how fast or hard I drive the bike, the motor never gets so hot I can't hold the cover. Only time it gets that hot is in town and it depends on the outside temp. Without any air to carry the heat from a cooler how is it going to lower oil temp? I spoz it cools between stop lights pretty and that's where u get the temp reduction.

More
14 Oct 2007 15:21 #176165 by arobsum
Replied by arobsum on topic lockhart oil cooler
i've heard pros and cons on this subject before with each side having good points....i guess i wanted to hear some things from folks who actually use one before i dropped 25$ for something i probably wouldn't need...but on the other hand, having one on my bike really wouldn't hurt either..:S :blink:

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
More
14 Oct 2007 19:04 #176197 by KZQ
Replied by KZQ on topic lockhart oil cooler
"having one on my bike really wouldn't hurt either.."

Are you sure? Guess I didn't check your ride first but the roller bearing KZ's run low oil pressure. While I've never added one I've seen a number of "I've just added an oil cooler, where did my oil pressure go?" type of posts.

If there's one thing that no one disputes it's that Ma kaw builds a stout engine. If you've hopped it up a bunch consider an oil cooler, if not:

Trust in the Kaw!

KZCSI

www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

More
15 Oct 2007 14:48 #176282 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic lockhart oil cooler
the heat we have here in the summer makes me think I need one, well I have one, I think it is good insurance to try to keep the oil temp in the cool working range

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
15 Oct 2007 15:06 #176284 by arobsum
Replied by arobsum on topic lockhart oil cooler
KZCSI wrote:

"having one on my bike really wouldn't hurt either.."

Are you sure? Guess I didn't check your ride first but the roller bearing KZ's run low oil pressure. While I've never added one I've seen a number of "I've just added an oil cooler, where did my oil pressure go?" type of posts.

If there's one thing that no one disputes it's that Ma kaw builds a stout engine. If you've hopped it up a bunch consider an oil cooler, if not:

Trust in the Kaw!

KZCSI

good point. i didn't think about the low oil pressure........i may just keep it as a spare or ebay it later.:dry: :whistle: