engine or trans noise

More
04 Oct 2007 13:18 #174559 by mnielsen
engine or trans noise was created by mnielsen
My 1987 1000P is giving me some problems.
The engine starts and runs smoothly, without misses that I have noticed.
In neutral, I can start and rev it with no problems.
When I put it in gear though, it gives me some problems. Under a load/strain it knocks and kind of catches. As I leave a stop and accellerate, the knocking (chunk chunk chunk) speeds up to about four chunks per second or so. It's not just a sound- I can feel it catch.
It seems as though it might be a little worse if I'm leaning it a bit around a corner.
If I start off very slowly, it doesn't cause the problem, and if I bring it up to speed, it will cruise all day long without any noises or clanks.
I've parked it and would like to get into it to fix it if I can.
Do you have any ideas?
Any help from this experienced group would be really helpful.
Thanks
Mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Oct 2007 13:27 #174560 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic engine or trans noise
Maybe drive chain kinking? :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
04 Oct 2007 14:26 #174571 by violentvintagecycles
Replied by violentvintagecycles on topic engine or trans noise
Check the simple stuff first, like patton says the chain, check that the sprockets arent missing any teeth, and check your wheels and wheel bearings.

More
04 Oct 2007 16:41 #174586 by Norseman
Replied by Norseman on topic engine or trans noise
That is an exact description of my problem - it turned out to be the chain. Can explain exactly because whatever the problem is, kink or other, it's not readily apparent visually. I tightened the chain a bit, and voila, noise and clunking went away. After a couple hundred miles, it re-appeared. So, off with the old and on with the new, including sprockets.

Doesn't matter, bike's off the floor for fork rebuild after left fork seal failed and prectically emptied the cylinder of oil :angry:. So much for my season:(. Might as well start working on her while it's still warm. I remember all to well last winter January through March - I still have frostbite scars on my...ah, forget it.

Anyway, I tightened the adjustments one full turn, checked to make sure I still had acceptable chain travel, then tested with a short ride. If the problem goes away, you've at least narrowed it down. I'd check the rear hub shock dampers for brittleness and slop, and the front sprocket to make sure it's secured and tight.

Post edited by: Norseman, at: 2007/10/04 19:41

More
04 Oct 2007 18:03 #174593 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic engine or trans noise
When a chain starts kinking, especially an o-ring chain, it is usually on its last legs. A really good lubing and slack adjustment sometimes helps temporarily, maybe for a 100 miles or so (perhaps long enough to get home), but the chain often resumes kinking very quickly.

The o-ring chains (which IMO are the better choice) are supposedly "lubed for life" underneath the o-rings, and opinions differ about how much and how often to lube them.

As already suggested, it is important to renew both sprockets (especially the rear sprocket, IMO) so the old worn sprockets don't quickly wear out the new chain.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
05 Oct 2007 09:07 #174715 by mnielsen
Replied by mnielsen on topic engine or trans noise
Thanks!
These suggestions seem really promising.
I retensioned the chain and got it to stop clunking. But I ride it about 50-70 miles each day to and from work, so, the fix didn't last long. I was concerned that any improvement might have just been in my head. (though my head does not seem improved)
It could easily be a worn chain that won't stay lubed or likes to kink.
I'll retension and lube it up to see if I can isolate the problem adn make it go away again.
If that seems to me my main issue, Where do you suggest I pick up a new chain and sprockets?
I deal with Z1 quite often. Anyone else have good prices and products?
Thanks!