fitting a KZ750 E Valve cover to KZ1100

More
12 Jan 2006 07:04 #17444 by cary
A couple questions:

There is a sweet, powdercoated black valve cover on ebay(Item number: 4603155588). It just so happen I have a cracked, jb-welded valve cover on my ride. I'd like to fit this part.

1 - Will it fit? It looks different on top, but maybe the bolt holes will line up.

2- Does the valve cover get hot enough to mess up glossy powdercoating?

If the consensus here is that it won't fit, I won't bid, and maybe one of you guys will want it.

ride safe,
Cary
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jan 2006 09:46 #17481 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic fitting a KZ750 E Valve cover to KZ1100
Won't fit, completely different top ends. And yes the powder coating will stand up really well to the heat.

More
12 Jan 2006 11:51 #17499 by cary
Replied by cary on topic fitting a KZ750 E Valve cover to KZ1100
guess I won't buy it then...

More
12 Jan 2006 11:59 #17502 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic fitting a KZ750 E Valve cover to KZ1100
I am leery about powdercoating covers. I had a set done by a leading shop in San Antonio. I used a basic aluminum finish and they first had problems with it bubbling because of the porous nature of the aluminum. Once they stripped their first try off and primed it, the second try looked great... till I got a drop of gas on it. Eventually, all of the powdercoat got real dull and had lines running through it. The powdercoat was a snap to remove... shot some carb cleaner on it and it was paste but the primer required sanding and wire brush work... lots of it! I won't get anything on the engine powdercoated again till I find someone I can trust as the last shop told me that their stuff was gas / oil resistant... HAH!

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
12 Jan 2006 13:42 #17519 by cary
Replied by cary on topic fitting a KZ750 E Valve cover to KZ1100
really... cause I was going to powdercoat my valvecover, tank, and a few other parts BECAUSE of their supposed resistance to gas versus paint. Anyone else have experience with powdercoating engine and fuel system parts? Also, is there any way to powdercoat on a bondoed tank?

More
12 Jan 2006 14:11 #17527 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic fitting a KZ750 E Valve cover to KZ1100
I worked in two different industries/companies that used powdercoating. There is quite a process in prepping a part before powdercoating. Lot's of sandblasting, washing, rinsing, heating, have to happen before the powdercoater gets to apply the powder.

I say No way to powdercoat on a bondoed tank. The item to be coated has to be metal, and clean as can be. Although this link below mentions that it MAY be possible. Read the part asking about the BSA frame.

I think WG's coater missed a step.

Check this link out

my.execpc.com/~davewrit/Powder.html

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

More
13 Jan 2006 12:20 #17735 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic fitting a KZ750 E Valve cover to KZ1100
My frame is powerdercoated white and it was done over 8 years ago. I have brake cleaner sprayed on it, gasoline, carb cleaner, soap etc and it never melted. It is very hard paint. It looks as good today as it did 8 years ago. Wiredgeorge, whoever did yours must have screwed up.