Oil Change question

More
03 Oct 2007 06:38 #174331 by Little B
Oil Change question was created by Little B
Yesterday I changed the oil in my bike for the first time since buying it. It was actually blacker than the oil pan it was draining into! :sick:

The shop manual says to put in 3.5 liters of oil if you've changed the filter. I measured it out and put that much in. However, when I checked the oil level after riding last night, the level was above the high mark. Is this a problem?

I did notice that while the engine was running, the oil level was between the high and low marks.

The reason for my concern is that the manual says that after the engine runs, the level should be between those two marks...what gives?

1981 KZ750-H2 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Oct 2007 08:18 #174341 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Oil Change question
When I change my oil and filter I let it drain for about an hour. My bike takes a little over 3 qts. I put in 3qts and start it up and then check after sitting for about 5 min. This is with COLD oil so when warmed up the time is much shorter. Then I add to just below the high mark. Proper level should be with oil warmed up and engine off! Don't be concerned where it is while running. PS... If oil was that black I would change oil only (no filter) run it for awhile to warm it up and then change it again with filter. This will flush ALL old dirty oil out!

Post edited by: Bluemeanie, at: 2007/10/03 11:21

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
More
03 Oct 2007 08:21 #174342 by CoreyClough
Replied by CoreyClough on topic Oil Change question
Where you add the oil should be a number in liters raised on the side of the cover. If it says "3l"(<- that's a lower case "L") like on my 550, I add 3 quarts, as it's almost the same. If your checking in on level ground, and with a warm engine, the factory recommendation is being able to see the oil level in the sightglass with the engine off. A little over is OK, but too high and you could get oil splash from the crankshaft while rotating.

'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp

More
03 Oct 2007 22:10 #174476 by Little B
Replied by Little B on topic Oil Change question
Thanks for the help...I'll check to see if it has raised numbers on it. I know it does say use 10W40 on the cap but don't recall anything else being on there. :)

Is oil splash from the crankshaft while rotating a thing that could damage the engine? How would I know if it is doing that?

EDIT: When I checked the oil level today it was within the correct range. So maybe I just had not given it enough time to drain down when checking before. It had '3.5' imprinted next to the oil level window so evidently that was the correct amount of oil to add.

Post edited by: Little B, at: 2007/10/04 17:10

1981 KZ750-H2 LTD