wiseco circlips..

More
02 Oct 2007 18:32 #174253 by auggiedog
wiseco circlips.. was created by auggiedog
well, i am installing a new set of wiseco psitons in the 900, and man, are those circlips hard to work with! I can not get them in on the bench must less on the bike..:S
I noticed on the redline site that they use stock oem circlips on the wiseco..but says "special".
anyone have any experience with this?
or should I get the teflon buttons and be done with it?
or will a circlip tool work?
man...on and on and ....
:dry:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Oct 2007 00:59 #174307 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic wiseco circlips..
Might as well use the buttons. Cheap insurance.

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

More
03 Oct 2007 05:34 #174320 by Jay_G
Replied by Jay_G on topic wiseco circlips..
i didnt have to many dramas putting mine in, just stick one end in first and use a very thin screwdriver/scribe to lever them in, make sure you put rags around the rods so that when you do drop a clip it doesnt go into the engine cases.

• pstrbrc
  • User
  • '81 GPz 1100 project
More
03 Oct 2007 05:52 #174322 by pstrbrc
Replied by pstrbrc on topic wiseco circlips..
Been there, done that. I fussed about this when I was doing my engine. Fellow KZers told me, "Practice, practice, practice!" I did one on the bench over and over again with a piston pin in it, and you know? after about 30 minutes I was pretty good! Sat on the floor next to the engine, stuffed shop rags in around the rods, and had all 4 done in about 5 minutes. And because of the practice, didn't send a single clip zinging anywhere, and didn't drive the little screwdriver's blade into any of my fingers!:woohoo:

\'81 GPz 1100 project
Elkhart, Kansas USA
\"Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him.\" Groucho Marx

More
03 Oct 2007 10:42 #174363 by nads.com
Replied by nads.com on topic wiseco circlips..
Time to make and market a circlip installation tool. pipe inside of a pipe...:side:

More
03 Oct 2007 11:13 #174365 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic wiseco circlips..
The groove in a Wiseco piston is larger/deeper than in a stock ART piston and the Wiseco circlip is heavier gauge steel than a stocker. I would definitely not put a stock circlip in a Wiseco piston or vise versa. They likely won't stay put. I would avoid buttons where possible as they tend to rub on the cylinder wall... use a Wiseco circlip would be best. I sort of put the open end in place in the groove at an angle (to get the circlip started) and press the other side home with flat punch. Keep something over the holes in the block below! Have a telescoping magnet on hand and make sure you get some spare circlips because if you don't they have already made an agreement to have one of them try an excape!

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• pstrbrc
  • User
  • '81 GPz 1100 project
More
03 Oct 2007 11:39 #174371 by pstrbrc
Replied by pstrbrc on topic wiseco circlips..
nads.com wrote:

Time to make and market a circlip installation tool. pipe inside of a pipe...:side:

Hmmm....
Seen 'em, seems to me they come in various sizes, including both 17mm and 18mm, but, being a cheep Scotsman, a half hour of practice made me good enough, and if'n I remember correctly, the ones I came across were about $20. That makes my time worth $40 an hour. :woohoo:
If I were going to do lots of these, the tool might be worth it. If'n one bike now and then is all you're doing, cheep me says, "Naw!!!!"

\'81 GPz 1100 project
Elkhart, Kansas USA
\"Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him.\" Groucho Marx

More
03 Oct 2007 12:05 #174375 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic wiseco circlips..
They are not that bad, once you figure out the trick getting them to " roll " into the groove it is easy, to save time and hassle put one side in on the bench, make sure you look to put the one that is on the inside in and the outside one will always be easy to install

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
05 Oct 2007 14:32 #174767 by Kiwiz
Replied by Kiwiz on topic wiseco circlips..
I was terrified of one of them escaping so I cleaned out my workshop first to assist in finding any escapees. I bought a kit from the states (I am in NZ) and there were no spares.

I thought about putting the pistons in the bores first but the difficulty with inserting the clips persuaded me to use the convention piston on rod approach first.

The circlips are very stiff so I practised on the old pistions first

My approach was to put one of the ends in the groove
leaving one end out. The holding the circlip in postion with my left thumb I used a blunt screwdriver to push the free end up and into the groove. This took some force and I had a couple of slips with the screwdriver. Couple of pistons managed to get slight scratches in the procees. Once in the groove I moved the open ends around using a jewellers screwdriver so that the were not facing the groove gap

More
15 Oct 2007 19:36 #176342 by auggiedog
Replied by auggiedog on topic wiseco circlips..
Just to let you all know, i did practice, and they did fine. just a little finesse.
all together now with only about an hour on the bike...
gonna ride tomorrow for a bit and see what we get..
thanks!
K