• BINJIEU
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Always leave 'em smiling!
More
02 Oct 2007 14:17 #174190 by BINJIEU
TRAPPED was created by BINJIEU
Hi Guys and Goyls,

Riding to work this am clutch cable broke. Got one coming in the morrow, but don't have my Haynes handy being 64 mikles from home. Never changed cable before and have'nt any idea how to do it. Any quick help would be appreciated. Would love to ride home tomorrow.

77 KZ650 w/ Dyna S ignition and stock coils
81 BMW r65
91 BMW k100rs 4v
Lakeland, FL.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Oct 2007 14:21 #174193 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic TRAPPED
Don't need no stinkin clutch! Seriously, I'd just ride it home. I don't normally do it but have shifted many times with no clutch. Better at home with proper tools, beer, etc. Got a friend with a truck? Also, we don't know what kind of bike your talking about. Put bike and location in signature. ;)

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
02 Oct 2007 14:35 #174201 by ltdrider
Replied by ltdrider on topic TRAPPED
Your cable probably snapped at the clutch lever. Loosen the adjustment nut, and remove the cable from the lever housing. Find the little barrel (probably in the notch in the lever) and remove it.
The other end of the cable runs under your cover on the left side of the bike. You have to remove maybe 6 bolts (some are long), and the cover will come off. Once off, you can see how the cable is connected to a lever on the inside of the cover. Remember how it's installed, remove it, and install the new cable the same way.
When installing the new cable at the clutch lever, add some grease at the barrell to help it last longer.
Once it's connected at both ends, use the adjustment nut at the lever to get a little play in the lever.
Piece of cake!

Post edited by: ltdrider, at: 2007/10/02 17:37

'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

• BINJIEU
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Always leave 'em smiling!
More
02 Oct 2007 15:54 #174219 by BINJIEU
Replied by BINJIEU on topic TRAPPED
Thanks guys,

I have riden sans clutch before, but 64 miles through Chicago traffic without a clutch is not a good idea even for the minimally insane. I'll just stay in town tonight, forego the beer, and fix it right tomorrow.
Wouldn't be able to "git er done" without your help ltdrider:) Thanks again.

77 KZ650 w/ Dyna S ignition and stock coils
81 BMW r65
91 BMW k100rs 4v
Lakeland, FL.

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
02 Oct 2007 19:50 #174279 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic TRAPPED
I just replaced the clutch cable (barrel broke off of cable at lever....again!) on my 650 last week, so every little detail is still fresh in my warped lil' mind. :silly: :woohoo:

1) Remove the 2 bolts holding the chrome starter cover to the top of the engine (it's just under the carbs on the left side), then remove the cover itself.
Be careful not to damage the rubber gasket for the cover, as you'll want to reuse it. Spray adhesive works nicely to adhere the gasket to the underside of the starter cover during reinstalation.

2) Scratch a line, or use an ink marker to draw a line on the end of the shifter shaft and on the shift pedal. This makes getting the shifter pedal back on in the exact same position a piece of cake.
Now remove the bolt that clamps the shifter pedal onto the shaft, place a flat-blade screwdriver into the gap of the pedal and gently spread it open slightly (about 1/16"), then remove the shifter pedal.

3) Remove the 4 bolts holding the left engine cover onto the engine, then slide the cover over and off of the shift shaft. You might need to wiggle it a little bit to get it.

4) Making note of the way it's currently routed, slide the broken cable down away from the forks/handlebars of the bike.

5) Remove the cotter pin (this holds the lower end of the clutch cable in place) that fits through the clutch release mechanism on the inside of the left engine cover. If the 2 screws holding the clutch release mechanism can be removed without buggering them up, do it. This will allow you to clean and grease up the gear splines on the back side of that mechanism. Having the release mechanism removed from the engine cover also allows more play in the clutch cable to be able to attach it to the clutch lever and into the clutch perch.
While you're in there, examine the clutch push rod for rust/damage. A scotchbrite pad will do wonders in removing the grease and light surface rust that will likely be there. Applying a light coating of grease on the rod will help prevent (not eliminate)any further rust from returning.

6) Now simply reinstall/rebolt everything in reverse order.

After the cable is installed and everything else is reattached to your bike, use the adjuster in the middle of the cable to get your base tension on the cable, then use the "wheel" type adjuster near the lever for the final adjustment.

If you're mechanically capable as you sound, this is less than an hour task from start to finish. ;)

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ