Loud engine knock

More
30 Sep 2007 18:04 #173809 by jack2006
Loud engine knock was created by jack2006
The engine on my KZ550 is knocking very loud...i think it might be a problem with the valve height but I'm not sure. The engine has not been tuned for as long as I had the bike so it might need that I'm just wondering what some other opinions might be on this...thanks...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Sep 2007 18:12 #173811 by reborn650
Replied by reborn650 on topic Loud engine knock
Simple fix....simply turn up your Ipod to the loudest setting and you won't hear the noises anymore:)

Have you had the carbs synchronized? Is there enough oil in the engine? Has you cam chain adjuster failed?

If the noise just suddenly started I wouldn't think valve settings as they would have become increasingly more noisy.

Check in this order...

Oil level

Cam Chain adjuster

Carb synch

If these items weren't the root of the noise then I would pull the tank and valve covers to check them.

A long screwdriver with a wooden handle will help you pinpoint the problem area. Put the screwdriver's business end against various spots in the engine and place your ear to the wooden end of the screwdriver. Think of it as a poor man's stethoscope.

Other members will likely chime in with their experience and advice.

Cheers-Colin Firth-Ontario Canada

-1977 Kz650 Custom bought new by brother. Now with 810 kit, GPz750 cams, intake valves, Mikuni 29 smoothbores, velocity stacks, Dyna Igntion, MAC pipe and other goodies.
-1982 Ferrari 308 GTSi Red/Tan
-Toyota FJ Cruiser - 6 speed tank
-2010 Mazda CX-7 Turbo (my bride's)
-1998 Jeep TJ Wrangler 4.0...

More
30 Sep 2007 18:17 #173815 by nads.com
Replied by nads.com on topic Loud engine knock
Piece of rubber hose works the best. Rubber doesn't transfer vibrations that come from the surrounding area.

More
30 Sep 2007 18:20 #173818 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Loud engine knock
If the bike is idling on choke and is not revving high, the primary chain will make a pretty loud knock/rattle noise. After the bike warms up and idles smooth on some balanced/tuned carbs it should go away. Most of the 550's seem to do that when first started.

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
More
30 Sep 2007 19:28 #173844 by CoreyClough
Replied by CoreyClough on topic Loud engine knock
If it's not noisy at idle, but it's there at anything above idle, this happened to me, and once I removed the head, I found #3 rod the issue. I verified this by a loose #3 rod, and shavings in the oil pan. I hope this isn't your case.

'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp

More
30 Sep 2007 20:25 #173865 by jack2006
Replied by jack2006 on topic Loud engine knock
Good advice...will get me started ...the cam chain is fine but it might be loose I'll have to check that, oil is there, the noise has grown gradually...I'll have to tune the carbs I guess since they havent been done over since I've owned the bike...

Honestly I;ve been at this for 3 weeks now everyday...I think I;ll just take it to the mechanic now...I mean I got it to work and fire up...I;ve never touched a bike engine in my life before this and managed to resurect it to fire up and work with a huge help from you guys but I'm just getting tired lol and I ran out of gloves

We;ll see what he says if it's not to expensive I'll just get him to check it out...

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
More
30 Sep 2007 21:46 #173886 by CoreyClough
Replied by CoreyClough on topic Loud engine knock
44,000+ miles mine had rod knock, just to let you know. Hope your's isn't that. It's comon for #3 to go, for some reason.

'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp