Anyone here live in NC and works on motors?

• Customkz1100
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
28 Sep 2007 21:12 #173426 by Customkz1100
Anyone here live in NC and works on motors? was created by Customkz1100
Just bought my kz, but I don't know much about the motor and its leaking some oil, I need some help...thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Sep 2007 02:11 #173443 by gpzrox
Replied by gpzrox on topic Anyone here live in NC and works on motors?
Where in NC and where is the leak (top, bottom, side, left, right) would be good to know.

84 GPZ750. Modded with stock Kawasaki parts: ZR-7 shock, ZX-6 coils, GPZ1100 throttle, EN454 brake, GPZ900 fuse box, etc. and non stock: Ken Sears mirrors, K&N filter, Pirelli Sport Demons.

• Customkz1100
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
29 Sep 2007 11:08 #173491 by Customkz1100
Replied by Customkz1100 on topic Anyone here live in NC and works on motors?
I live in Asheboro about 20 mins from Greensboro, it appears to be leaking from the head gasket. This motor has been played with I was told that it was stoked out to 1340cc. So I would like someone to show and tell me what I have got. And where I can buy some parts for the engine. Any help would be great...thanks

More
29 Sep 2007 12:28 #173510 by Oldwolf
Replied by Oldwolf on topic Anyone here live in NC and works on motors?
Good to know they are someothers in N.C. Dallas here about 30 mins West of Charlotte.

1977 KZ1000A1, 1105cc,Mikuni RS34mm FS, K&N Pods,Kerker 4/1,Dyna S Ign,Coils & Plug Wires,Progressive Sup. Front&Rear, Derale Oil Cooler.

More
29 Sep 2007 12:28 #173512 by Oldwolf
Replied by Oldwolf on topic Anyone here live in NC and works on motors?
Good to know they are someothers in N.C. Dallas here about 30 mins West of Charlotte.

1977 KZ1000A1, 1105cc,Mikuni RS34mm FS, K&N Pods,Kerker 4/1,Dyna S Ign,Coils & Plug Wires,Progressive Sup. Front&Rear, Derale Oil Cooler.

More
29 Sep 2007 18:51 #173577 by gpzrox
Replied by gpzrox on topic Anyone here live in NC and works on motors?
I need to bring my kids down your way to the zoo.

I'm out here in the hills, Asheville area.

By the head gasket, I am going to guess that it is the upper part of the cylinder. That requires cam chain removal, something I have not ventured into.

I can imagine that going from an 1100 to a 1340 is a hefty bump. How to check? I would guess that if you measured the bore when the head is off, even with a tape measure you could get close enough to see what the overbore is.

Maybe someone else here can help with the motor, but what I have noticed most is --pretty much worldwide -- most people do their own wrenching on the old rides. The machine work is left to those who do it best, and there is a group out of SC that does my mechanics work.

How to wrench? The manuals available are based on an engine teardown. Z1 enterprises (link on the home page) is where to get the parts.

Sorry I couldn't help more.

84 GPZ750. Modded with stock Kawasaki parts: ZR-7 shock, ZX-6 coils, GPZ1100 throttle, EN454 brake, GPZ900 fuse box, etc. and non stock: Ken Sears mirrors, K&N filter, Pirelli Sport Demons.

• Customkz1100
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
30 Sep 2007 09:37 #173690 by Customkz1100
Replied by Customkz1100 on topic Anyone here live in NC and works on motors?
Thanks...If we could meet up and you look at it and tell me what you think that would be helpful. I am going to try to take some detailed pics and post them up soon....thanks again

More
30 Sep 2007 16:37 #173772 by requiem
Replied by requiem on topic Anyone here live in NC and works on motors?
know what? we/us/they someone.... someone needs to start up a shop specializing in older bikes... there aren't any...