Thought noise was cam chain, now not so sure

More
28 Sep 2007 20:36 #173422 by seanof30306
79 KZ650

Have had an intermittent noise I suspected was the cam chain.

Took it to a shop. The guy listened to it and immediately diagnosed it as a cam chain noise. Said he believed the automatic tensioner was bad.

He later told me the tensioner was all gunked up from the oil not having been changed regularly, and all it needed was a good cleaning to correct the problem.

I got the bike back, and the problem was not corrected. I took it back to the shop, he said he could hear the problem was not corrected, and told me he'd get to it the next day.

A week and a half later, after not having any of my calls returned, I went to the shop. He told me he'd ordered a complete tensioner assembly from Kawasaki, and had not recieved it yet. I looked at the bike, and saw the tensioner had not been removed. I asked him how he knew which parts of the assembly were bad if he hadn't looked at it. He had no answer.

I took the bike. We pulled the valve cover, and the chain tensioner. The cam chain is tight and looks good. We can't see anything visibly wrong with the chain tensioner. We reassembled the bike and ran it, using a long screwdriver, and listening along it, to try and isolate the noise. It is loudest on the upper side of the engine case, away from the cylinder; closer to the starter. I'm wondering if what we're hearing is even the cam chain at all.

The noise sounds exactly like something like a chain making light contact with the case or other soft, or round metal; it's not a grinding sound, more like a rubbing sound.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Post edited by: seanof30306, at: 2007/09/29 08:36

"That @#$%!!! KZ650"
79 KZ650 B3
Dual front disc brakes
Z1R 18" front wheel
Pumper carbs w/pods
MAC 4-1 w/ drilled-out baffle
Dyna S ignition w/ Dyna Green coils
WG coil mod
'81 CSR charging system
17/41 gearing

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Sep 2007 20:57 #173424 by steell
Loudest at idle, goes away when you rev up the motor?

If so, that's a characteristic of primary chain noise, and it's right where you are hearing it.

Pretty common complaint, and normally if you sync the carbs it gets quieter.

Of course it could be something else, it's pretty hard to diagnose a noise over the net :)

Post edited by: steell, at: 2007/09/28 23:59

KD9JUR

More
28 Sep 2007 22:06 #173430 by seanof30306
Replied by seanof30306 on topic Thought noise was cam chain, now not so sure
steell wrote:

Loudest at idle, goes away when you rev up the motor?

If so, that's a characteristic of primary chain noise, and it's right where you are hearing it.

Pretty common complaint, and normally if you sync the carbs it gets quieter.

Of course it could be something else, it's pretty hard to diagnose a noise over the net :)<br><br>Post edited by: steell, at: 2007/09/28 23:59

Thanks for responding.

Yes, it's loudest at idle, and yes, it goes away when the motor is revving up, but, you hear it start when the motor is settling back down after revving up.

When you say "primary chain", do you mean the drive chain?

"That @#$%!!! KZ650"
79 KZ650 B3
Dual front disc brakes
Z1R 18" front wheel
Pumper carbs w/pods
WG coil mod
'81 CSR charging system
17/41 gearing

More
29 Sep 2007 05:20 #173448 by steell
No, the primary chain is a HyVo type chain that connects the crankshaft to the secondary shaft, which then drives the clutch.

It's #6 in the pic below

KD9JUR

More
29 Sep 2007 05:23 #173451 by steell
And in this pic you can see the gear on the crank that drives the chain, it's just left of center.

The parts diagrams at kawasaki.com "really" help :)

Post edited by: steell, at: 2007/09/29 08:24

KD9JUR

More
29 Sep 2007 05:34 #173454 by seanof30306
Man, thanks for all your help.

Now, how serious is it when the primary chain is making this noise? If it's still doing it after we get the carbs right, is there an adjuster? I don't see one in the diagram.

"That @#$%!!! KZ650"
79 KZ650 B3
Dual front disc brakes
Z1R 18" front wheel
Pumper carbs w/pods
WG coil mod
'81 CSR charging system
17/41 gearing

More
29 Sep 2007 07:12 #173463 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Thought noise was cam chain, now not so sure
It doesn't hurt anything, I don't believe, when it's noisy. There is no tensioner, the chain just eventually stretches and as mentioned will rattle to beat hell if the carbs are not synced. replacing the chain means removing the engine, splitting the cases and removing the crankshaft. Not an afternoon project or something you want a shop to do at $70 an hour I wouldn't think. If it's that I'd leave it be. How many miles do you have? I went the entire 162,000 on my original KZ650 engine without replacing the chain and I'll admit it was rattling a little :laugh:

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
29 Sep 2007 11:19 #173492 by steell
IIRC, (haven't looked it up recently) the service limit on the primary chain is 25mm (close enough to 1") of up and down travel between the two shafts (crank and secondary).

It will make a lot of noise long before it gets to that point.

Sync the carbs and it will probably be a lot quieter.

A new chain is near $200, plus the labor to install it.

Post edited by: steell, at: 2007/09/29 14:20

KD9JUR

More
01 Oct 2007 07:01 #173924 by jccwall
Replied by jccwall on topic Thought noise was cam chain, now not so sure
mileage is 28,600 ish. i assume this noise at idle will also be heard when starting?
please bear with me. im new to cycles.
but have 30+yrs with automotive. dealing with the carbs. after rebuilding the carbs is there a standard adjustment on all the jets? ie. turned all the way in and 2.5 turns out. like on a rochester quadrajet?
next question, what manual would be recommended to properly tune a bike. just until i get more comfy with knowing what to listen for?

thanks jim.

More
01 Oct 2007 07:13 #173929 by seanof30306
jccwall wrote:

mileage is 28,600 ish. i assume this noise at idle will also be heard when starting?
please bear with me. im new to cycles.
but have 30+yrs with automotive. dealing with the carbs. after rebuilding the carbs is there a standard adjustment on all the jets? ie. turned all the way in and 2.5 turns out. like on a rochester quadrajet?
next question, what manual would be recommended to properly tune a bike. just until i get more comfy with knowing what to listen for?

thanks jim.

FYI

Jim is the guy working on my bike.

"That @#$%!!! KZ650"
79 KZ650 B3
Dual front disc brakes
Z1R 18" front wheel
Pumper carbs w/pods
WG coil mod
'81 CSR charging system
17/41 gearing

More
03 Oct 2007 12:43 #174384 by jccwall
Replied by jccwall on topic Thought noise was cam chain, now not so sure
steell, do you have a parts page for the carbs?

• hardr0ck68
  • User
  • Who put the what in the where?
More
03 Oct 2007 12:54 #174386 by hardr0ck68
Replied by hardr0ck68 on topic Thought noise was cam chain, now not so sure
on the right side of the page there is the "The Essentials" list. Find the one that says Kawasaki Parts Diagrams... on e you go there just find your model and you are set.

All the pictures you could want!

1977 kz650 c1

bought it because I was told it would never run again...I like to prove people wrong.