Fuel in the Oil & Clutch Adjustment ???

More
28 Sep 2007 19:12 #173401 by dannyg40
Went through the new KZ1000 today. Drained the oil and it was thin as hell and smelled like gas ! Had me worried and I hope it dont happen again. Not sure what the previous owner did or how it happened. When I got the bike I think the petcock was on "Prime" instead of "On". It has the On, Prime, Reserve petcock. I hope the heck it dont happen to me cause it has me worried.

2nd question since Im confused now.......

I changed the bars out from the LTD bars to shorter bars, installed the shorter clutch cable. I adjusted the clutch but notice I have the clutch adjusted but the cable I got is adjusted out pretty far. I got done and it got late and I started the bike, put it in gear, and all seemed well but looking through the shop manual I noticed the "1982 supliment" section has different specs for adjusting the clutch release mechanism.

I adjusted it from page 2-12 as follows...

"Loosen the locknut, turn the screw in clockwise till it becomes hard, back screw out 1/4 turn and lock down"

Page 10-18 for the 82 year supliment says.......

"loosen the locknut, turn the screw counterclockwise till it becomes hard, turn clockwise 1/4 turn, and lock down"

Which is correct for the 1982 KZ1000 LTD ?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Sep 2007 21:46 #173428 by Kiwiz
Well its the old worm versus ball and ramp alternative.

My 1981 J has ball and ramp and therefore the second alternative is correct for my machine, whereas most earlier Zs have the worm.

Given your model I would guess ball and ramp but the only way to know for sure is to remove the cover and have a look. On my J this is a ten miunte job it you have the right tools including a circlip plier. The ball and ramp mechanism has a solid short tube of steel with a hole in the centre which fits over the pushrod. The cable operating lever and cable are attached to it.
Just pull this out of the cover and you will see the 3 balls behind it held apart by a tin circulate plate.

this change over is ommitted from mention in most manuals including Clymer. How I found out was by dismatling it to see how it worked after my clutch kept locking disengaged.

More
29 Sep 2007 05:23 #173450 by dannyg40
Replied by dannyg40 on topic Fuel in the Oil & Clutch Adjustment ???
Its the ball and ramp I assume. When I changed the cable it has the same setup as my 750 did. The 3 balls that are behind the lever and cam right behind the cover. And yes, the push rod sits inside the socket.