big bore - reliability?

More
05 Oct 2007 10:46 #174726 by CruisingRam
Replied by CruisingRam on topic big bore - reliability?
I think the cooling issue is much more a question of how hot it gets when you ride- there is a guy that owns the best machine shop in town that rides a supercharged 1428 Z1 based motor- and has no overheating issues and never has had over heating issues- even when he rides on 75 degree days, and idles in traffic.

1975 Z1 B 900- soon to be heavily modded
Pahoa, Hawaii is my new hom
I am working hard to save up the shipping money to get my shop opened here in Hawaii
I hate electrical stuff.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Oct 2007 12:16 #174740 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic big bore - reliability?
75d degree days are few and far between in Texas, motors running hot is always a big concern around here, most of the time its in the upper 90s and traffic plays hell.
some dont like them but I like to use oil coolers to help with the heat.

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
05 Oct 2007 15:04 #174773 by themachine
Replied by themachine on topic big bore - reliability?
CruisingRam wrote:

I think the cooling issue is much more a question of how hot it gets when you ride- there is a guy that owns the best machine shop in town that rides a supercharged 1428 Z1 based motor- and has no overheating issues and never has had over heating issues- even when he rides on 75 degree days, and idles in traffic.

thats because its in alaska. :S

82 kawaski csr1000 Evolved into a streetfighter.

I love Speed! Hot Nasty Badass Speed!!!

More
05 Oct 2007 15:31 #174781 by CruisingRam
Replied by CruisingRam on topic big bore - reliability?
themachine wrote:

CruisingRam wrote:

thats because its in alaska. :S

ya, true dat- however- there are lots of northern regions with even more mild summers than we have. Anchorage just doesn't normally have extremes either way- we are too close to the ocean, like on it.

1975 Z1 B 900- soon to be heavily modded
Pahoa, Hawaii is my new hom
I am working hard to save up the shipping money to get my shop opened here in Hawaii
I hate electrical stuff.

More
05 Oct 2007 16:18 #174793 by kawsakiman
Replied by kawsakiman on topic big bore - reliability?
just buy the kit from kzzone.
i'm sure jay will be more than happy to sell it to you and from what i hear of him, he is a stand up guy and will offer you advice after the sale.
this is what he does for a living so if he says overheating is not an issue, i would believe him.
his shop has built more motors than probally half of us so i'm pretty sure he has a knack for it.

75 degrees?
hell, it stays that warm at night if not hotter here!
nothing like an air cooled black bike in 95 degree weather wearing leather and a black helmet on a bright sunny day.
( man i really need a mesh jacket )

someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.