440 rebuild

More
26 Sep 2007 21:57 #173107 by don_belt440
440 rebuild was created by don_belt440
The other day I went on a ride through the wonderful mountains of colorado. About 40 miles into the trip I stopped to take some pics of my bike which I'll post later. These pictures were the last to be taken of my running KZ440. Immediatly after the picture I got back on and there was a distincit mechanical clunking noise comming from the engine. I stopped and determined that something was really messed up in the oil pan. So I had my buddy who I was riding on go get my Bronco since I didn't have any access to a pick up. We jammed the 440 into the back of my Bronco, which I will also post pictures of. In about an hour I was able to take off the valve covers, and the head. All of which checked out ok, besides the amount of corrosion build up.

What I want to discuss is rebuilding of a motorcycle engine. I've rebuilt many V-6 and V-8's in my past but never a little 2 cylinder. What kind of difficulties are awaiting me? Also how would you rate the difficulty level of this rebuild? What types of things should I change to get more power while the engine is completely torn down? Where is a good reliable source for new/refurb parts?

Thanks,
Don

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.