kz1100 starting issues

More
26 Sep 2007 11:29 #172967 by dgiardina
kz1100 starting issues was created by dgiardina
hey all, haven't posted for quite a while... been riding my 81' kz1100 B)

Anyway, hadn't rode in about 3 weeks, went to start it & all it would do was crank over, no start.

My bike has the vacuum petcock, so if I haven't started it for a couple days, i'll put it on PRI, start it & then return the petcock to ON. since it's cold natured it seems to help.

It was running fine last time I rode it, not missing or anything.

I cleaned & checked the gap on the plugs & still no start - same sound cranking though.

If I remove the air filter & shoot a tiny amount in the intake, it will start & run after a couple cranks, but only runs for 2 seconds then dies. :( throttle position doesn't matter - as in no matter where I hold it, it dies after 2 seconds. oh yeah, after I removed the tank, I moved the petcock to PRI & gas came pouring out - so I'm getting fuel.

I do have a slight oil leak on the left side of the valve cover gasket that will drip out on my pant leg while I ride - one of those winter projects.

suggestions?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Sep 2007 15:55 #173031 by outatimeoutlaw
Replied by outatimeoutlaw on topic kz1100 starting issues
I would drain the carbs next & see what is in the float bowls. also how old was the gas in the tank?? At my work (cars) we have had some problems with the 10% ethanol fuel eating rubber fuel sys parts such as fuel press regulator diaphrams & hoses.It seems to be worse on cars that sit a lot.

More
26 Sep 2007 15:56 #173032 by outatimeoutlaw
I would drain the carbs next & see what is in the float bowls. also how old was the gas in the tank?? At my work (cars) we have had some problems with the 10% ethanol fuel eating rubber fuel sys parts such as fuel press regulator diaphrams & hoses.It seems to be worse on cars that sit a lot.

More
26 Sep 2007 15:56 #173033 by outatimeoutlaw

More
26 Sep 2007 20:40 #173099 by dgiardina
Replied by dgiardina on topic kz1100 starting issues
am i thinking right that if I have fuel & it will start with a direct shot into the air intake that it is not a fuel tank or electrical issue - such as coils, battery?

More
27 Sep 2007 04:44 #173137 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic kz1100 starting issues
... put it on PRI, start it & then return the petcock to ON....

Question please, just to confirm --

With petcock left on PRI, does the engine continue to run, or is petcock position irrelevant to the problem? :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
27 Sep 2007 09:57 #173174 by dgiardina
Replied by dgiardina on topic kz1100 starting issues
I'll have to check it.

What's your thought either if it quits on PRI but run in the ON position? & vice-versa?

More
27 Sep 2007 17:49 #173240 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic kz1100 starting issues
Am thinking PRI position is gravity-feed, regardless of some problem which might exist in the vacuum-operated ON position. Wondering if maybe there is some issue with fuel supply in the ON position, such as vacuum leak, defective petcock diaphram, or some other defect in the supposedly "automatic" petcock when in ON position.

Lack of fuel supply when in the ON position could cause the problems described. :)

Post edited by: Patton, at: 2007/09/27 20:50

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD