stuck kick start

• infinitexsound
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
25 Sep 2007 19:14 #172857 by infinitexsound
stuck kick start was created by infinitexsound
problem is, when i try to kick start the bike, the kick start wont turn..even when i stand on it. what could be the problem for making it stuck? could it a faulty starter? im planning to open up the cover tomorrow and seeing if anything is binding. this is my first project bike.
any input is appreciated

what things should i look for with the cover off?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
More
25 Sep 2007 20:21 #172868 by KZQ
Replied by KZQ on topic stuck kick start
Does the motor turn over?

www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

More
26 Sep 2007 05:49 #172914 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic stuck kick start
What type bike are you asking about? On the larger KZs, the kick start has a one-way ratcheting gear that engages 1st gear. There aren't many ways for this mechanism to go wrong. The one thing that could have happened if you had pulled the kicker cover in the past and removed the sleeve and spring was to not reload the lever correctly before reinstalling. As I recall, you must turn the lever fully clockwise before reinstalling the sleeve and spring to load it otherwise it won't work properly. If this fails to fix the problem, remove your spark plugs and put the bike in 1st gear and with the bike on center stand, turn the engine by rotating the rear wheel or use a 17mm box end wrench on the larger of the two nuts on the crank end (right side of bike as you sit on it) under the points cover to turn the engine. DO NOT force the wrench... the engine should turn fairly easily. If your engine is locked, the kicker might not be able to turn the engine. Come back for more info if you reach this point.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• infinitexsound
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
26 Sep 2007 14:35 #173018 by infinitexsound
Replied by infinitexsound on topic stuck kick start
thanks alot very descriptive i can do that.... i have a 1977 kz650..ill reply once i get that done.

• infinitexsound
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
01 Oct 2007 15:02 #173997 by infinitexsound
turns out the engine was locked up....makes me want to question myself about what i have gotten myself involved with... i took the crank cover off.. and slipped a socket on the crank and just helped it turn... its runs freely now... but as i stand on the kickstart there seems like theres no vacuum coming from the engine as it turn...

thanks for the help...

More
01 Oct 2007 16:46 #174036 by The Milkman
Replied by The Milkman on topic stuck kick start
You aren't pulling the clutch in while you are kicking the engine over are you? If you are it disconnects the transmission from the engine and you are just turning the transmission over.
Ride safe

78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.

• infinitexsound
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
05 Oct 2007 18:33 #174820 by infinitexsound
no im actually not trying to start the transmission... i know that it has to be in some sort of gear to get it to kick start... kinda like push starting a car.. same idea i believe... thanks tho

More
05 Oct 2007 18:39 #174822 by The Milkman
Replied by The Milkman on topic stuck kick start
When you kick start it, have it in neutral and don't pull in the clutch lever, If you use electric start, have it in neutral and pull in the clutch lever.

78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1