Throttle cables

More
22 Sep 2007 18:03 #172243 by TheDevilZX
Throttle cables was created by TheDevilZX
Okay, i purchased new handlebars for my KZ650, along with new grips.. i disassembled the throttle assembly and once i've completed everything, putting it back seems to be impossible, the acceleration line seems to go in fine, but the return line has NO slack what so ever, which is good for later, but bad for right now.. How do i create slack to fit this in, and then re-tension the cable?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Sep 2007 19:49 #172274 by davjour
Replied by davjour on topic Throttle cables
I had the very same problem today. I was installing new switch housings on my kz900 and had to remove the cables. I'm no expert and have installed cables on harleys with no problem. Putting the pull cable on was no problem but I could not get enough slack to get the other one on. I finally loosened the adjustment on the pulleys giving the cables as much slack as possible. Took the grip off the handlebar and installed both cables with the grip off the handlbar then was able to put the grip back on the handlebar housings with the cables installed. Then I re-adjusted the end on the pulleys retightening them like they were before and then adjusted the cables by the grip. Fiddled with it for about 4 hours. After reading this forum I've learned you can leave the return cable off and rely on the spring to return the throttle. Next time I'll put the return cable on for looks but use plastic ties to tuck it out of the way under the tank and not hook it up at the carb end. :sick:

More
23 Sep 2007 00:06 #172301 by TheDevilZX
Replied by TheDevilZX on topic Throttle cables
Sir, i too just figured that i could use the spring. Thank you. That helped a lot :) I downed like nearly a week ago and the bars screwed the whole assembly just got it all back, just started it up, wouldnt.. found that the relay for the starter wasnt covered and sighed in relief because it only blew a fuse to my coils, replaced that, and covered the relay and im gold now :D

Freakin, i love this bike. Im making it my own now.

::Edit::

I just got my dyna wire/ignition plate set in today the DS2-2, a friend said "you dont have to work to return the throttle, and its idling better, but it doesnt sound like its firing at correct time, get that set in"

I cannot wait :D Any notes i should take? Any mods from here that i should do while im doing this, or tricks I could be made aware of :D?

Post edited by: TheDevilZX, at: 2007/09/23 03:09