Paint or no paint???

• BoZ650
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 77 KZ650 with 4 to1 and pods,Dyna Coil and Dyna S
More
20 Sep 2007 06:38 #171724 by BoZ650
Paint or no paint??? was created by BoZ650
Ive come to the point in my project where Ihave to address the engine.Ive degreased it and wire wheeled it where i Could reach!Any thoughts on weather to paint the enginge or not?Every other part has been painted even the kickstand.Im afraid that when I bolt up the engine its gonna stick out like a sore thumb if not done right!Thanks guys!!

77 KZ650 With 4 into 1 header,Air pods,Dyna Green coils,Dyna S Ignition and WiredGeorge coil mod!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Sep 2007 09:00 #171971 by harm
Replied by harm on topic Paint or no paint???
Got any pics? That may help us in giving our opinions:)

Tom
Holland, MI

1980 KZ550 ELR

2011 Concours14

2017 KX450 [/color]

More
21 Sep 2007 09:45 #171980 by patmann
Replied by patmann on topic Paint or no paint???
I don't care for painted engines myself ( I'm sure that pissed someone off:pinch: ). Most of the ones I've seen chip and look cheap in short order.
But then again .. I have seen some nice ones too...
I would think they would hold the heat longer :dry: and not cool as well as a stock/ bare engine.
My .02 cents, Pat

1974 900 Z1 modified to look like a LTD , some engine mods. But I still have all the original parts.
1977 1000 project bike
1972 H1 project bike
If pro is opposite of con, then what is the opposite of progress?

More
21 Sep 2007 10:36 #171991 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic Paint or no paint???
I like the engine look on the September Bike of The Month. Black, polished covers, polished head fin edges.
Sweet.

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

• riverroad
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
21 Sep 2007 11:05 #172002 by riverroad
Replied by riverroad on topic Paint or no paint???
I know this guy that told me he was thinking about sending his cylinder and head in to JetHot to have them coated. He said it would help keep the engine cooler. He showed me some magazine ad that said the stuff keeps the underhood compartment cooler on cars, so he reasoned that it would keep his engine cooler.
I talked him out of it though. I explained to him that the coating helps keep the heat inside the header instead of radiating outward, and you wouldn't want that to happen on your head and cylinder where you'd want all of the heat radiating you can get.
Now, I have read that spraying a very thin coat of flat black helps draw heat out. I think that was in some hotrod magazine I used to read.