OK, I got one for you motor builders

More
11 Jan 2006 14:18 #17292 by RomSpaceKnight
Replied by RomSpaceKnight on topic OK, I got one for you motor builders
A Suzuki head on a Kawi engine. Next thing you know women will have fake breasts, beer will be spiked with caffiene and Harley's will be winning NHRA Pro class championships. Oh woe is me. What is the world coming to. A Kawuki or a Suzasaki?

Post edited by: RomSpaceKnight, at: 2006/01/11 17:28

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Duck
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
More
11 Jan 2006 15:06 #17293 by Duck
Replied by Duck on topic OK, I got one for you motor builders
I hear you.

But say you've got an old police bike you picked up for $150
And say you can pick up a GS1100G (8 valve head) in buckets for $100.

I know it's not the hot setup, but is it possible to bore the
J block for the GS pistons and use the GS head? I need rings in
the police motor and have access to a mill and a boring bar so why not?
Wrist pin is the same diameter. Some variation in height can be dealt with.
I can make a spacer or cut metal off.

Just curious. GS1100 parts might not pan out.

-Duck

• wireman
  • Visitor
11 Jan 2006 21:19 #17366 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic OK, I got one for you motor builders
looked at the pictures of that gs 1000 head,i think ill stick with the good ol kz head much better looking and ive got a few stacked around here somewhere allready!goodluck,happy wrenching!

More
12 Jan 2006 05:56 #17431 by craigpuckett
Replied by craigpuckett on topic OK, I got one for you motor builders
Duck,
you may be able to use the gs sleeves in the cop motor but I am thinking thats about all,bore spacing is different,that takes care of the block & head,dome shape is different,that takes care of the pistons,all thats left is the bottom end

just my .02

the carbs would work.:unsure:

I wish I could find SOME cop bikes for $150.00, I just paid 225.00 for an LTD motor(lower mileage) for my cop bike.

• Duck
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
More
12 Jan 2006 08:44 #17462 by Duck
Thanks.

I don't understand. If bore spacing is different, how are folks using GS 8 valve heads on KZ's?

I inferred from this and the use of GPz/J 8 valve heads on KZ's the the GS 8 valve would fit the GPz/J. Not the case?

If it does, valves are slightly smaller and combustion chamber is different but use of the GS1100G pistons should get compression to at least stock for the GS and maybe a little more if stock has some extra clearance to play with.

I thought using parts from a scrapped GS1100G might be an inexpensive alternative to new larger pistons in a tired 'J' block. Unless the offset between the plane through the top edge of the GS piston and the wrist pin center is radically different, it should be pretty easy to accomodate by adding spacer or removing metal.

It's appealing in that if it works I get more displacement and maybe higher compression for the price of a new set of rings, some gaskets, and a bit of machine work.

I don't seem to be able to get psyched up for a 12 hour road trip to pick up the GS1100 parts without knowing if parts will fit. Even if they do, I'm not sure I'll want to do all that driving.

-Duck

More
12 Jan 2006 09:44 #17480 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic OK, I got one for you motor builders
I have heard of this conversion but I have never seen one or pictures of one.
I tried this back in the 80's but gave up due to the amount of modifications needed. It is not a bolt on, and it will not fit without serious mods.

• Duck
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
More
12 Jan 2006 10:33 #17489 by Duck
Do you recall what the 'serious mods' were?
Thanks.
-Duck

More
12 Jan 2006 11:52 #17501 by rodneyo
Replied by rodneyo on topic OK, I got one for you motor builders
why wouldnt you just buy a running bike?

• Duck
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
More
12 Jan 2006 12:40 #17509 by Duck
because it's too easy and no fun!

i have running bikes
FT500, KZ1000A1, CB650, CB400A, GS1000GT
also had puch 50cc and xs650 recently but sold them

never bought a runner

i like working on and learning about them

they are all project bikes

the police bike isn't all there and didn't cost much and i want to see what i can do without spending a lot. the gs1100 is $100 in gas to go get it if i can get fired up enough to make the trip. the CX500 was free and isn't all there, the GPz1100 will be running as soon as I get around to spending about 16-18 hours with it. only cost me $300 plus about $100 in parts and some tools i didn't have.

-Duck

More
12 Jan 2006 14:27 #17531 by Jeff.Saunders
Replied by Jeff.Saunders on topic OK, I got one for you motor builders
I can't speak for the GS1100's - I've no knowledge of them - but the old 8-valve GS1000 heads used to be a populate modification to the old Z1/KZ motors in the late 70's and into 1980. The valves are larger on the GS - so they were attractive.

The cylinder bolt spacing is the same - what needs to be modified is the center idler tower. I don't remember the modifications, but it wasn't that tough to do.

Once the J motor came out the advantage of the GS1000 head disappeared as the J motor head was better than the GS head.

I did have a modified GS head here a few years ago - junk unfortunately, so it was recycled.

Some of the old drag bikes used the GS head backwards with the carbs or injectors out front of the engine to get a ram-air effect.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,