who would you go to!

More
17 Sep 2007 22:34 #171263 by rattler
who would you go to! was created by rattler
just wanting to get some members thoughts and info on who to take or send my kz1000 head to get rebulit and have some machine work done. who have you used in the past? were you pleased with there work? you paid what to have what done?

after many years of hard abuse on my kz1000 it is time agian to tear it down for a rebuilt. reason being my bike has got real hot from stop light to stop light riding. i am somking out the header when i let off the throttle but not while the throttle is being held open(valve seals got to be toast). it is also venting quite a bit of smoke out of the crank case hose that i have running to the back of the bike. this only occures when when its getting to hot(intown crusing) when it's in the 80-90's. you can realy see it at night. im guessing the guides are gone too. i put about four hundered and some miles on it last weeked riding to tenn. to the pinkies race and i used about 1/2qt or so of oil. so i am using some oil(blow by maybe).

i am looking to get my head completely redone. i am needing the head taken apart inspected and cleaned. then i need to replace the std valves,valve seals, valve guides, seats,retainers(replace with titanium),going to 650 style underbucket shims, liska tentioner(already have the builit gears),new cam chain(agian),hd valve springs, ape keepers. in addition i am going to drop some bigger cams in so i am going to need some machine work done. along with the valves being cut for the cams and laped in i will need the head cut and cleared for the cams i am going to run(418-430 undecided), head decked,and the cams dialed in.

since i plan on pulling the head i am going to pull the cylinder also. now is a good time as any to drop in the 1105 kit i have been holding on to for some time now. all i need for this is to get the cylinder bored, buy rings and buttons.

i planed on buying a plastic bike before next spring but i cant let my old kaw die! i refuse to push it to the side.

Post edited by: rattler, at: 2007/09/18 02:23

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Sep 2007 05:54 #171290 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic who would you go to!
You could try APE (member here) or there is a guy in Orlando that seems to know what he is doing. He has a totaly rebuilt 900 motor on ebay right now. To find it do a search in the parts section for kz900 or kz1000.

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

More
18 Sep 2007 06:18 #171299 by trippivot
Replied by trippivot on topic who would you go to!
Klemme performance cycle Davenport,IA
TOM KLEMME - the professor -
nearly every pro bike that has any point standing in division 5 NHRA chicago to denver sends their head work here
563 324 7072 klemmeperformancecycle.com

very reasonable and super friendly
porting, cut guides, splay angle, big valves, exotic materials, short retainers, cam lobe area clearancing,extra oil return, double plug/cylinder,bigger valve seats for bigger valves, milling for higher compression,sinking valves into head, etc... cost and dynamic clearances are the only limitations.
I've seen a KZ head 38mm int 35.5mm ex head flow over 100cfm from his shop
GPZ heads can have over 42mm intake and 38mm ex and really flow at half the cost of a vortex head (big aftermarket casting)

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
More
18 Sep 2007 06:57 #171306 by CoreyClough
Replied by CoreyClough on topic who would you go to!
APE did my head rebuild and 615 kit cylinder work, with the kit purchased from them. If you can afford the shipping from where you are, ship it to them. Let them know what your "intentions" are with your bike, and they could give you the options.

'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp

More
18 Sep 2007 08:26 #171318 by tjettim
Replied by tjettim on topic who would you go to!
When you have your head clearanced for cams
don't forget to have the cam cover clearanced
also.I have had great luck with my APE valve
springs.