Sprocket Cover O-Rings?

More
16 Sep 2007 18:26 #170998 by ace4mestl
Sprocket Cover O-Rings? was created by ace4mestl
I have an issue with o-rings. I removed the sprocket cover on my 1980 kz1000 LTD. and I undid the clutch adjuster cover (that cover with the 2 allens theres a seal in there). I ended up with 3 broken o-rings, along with years of dirt. One I know came off that pushrod inside when I pulled it out.(goes from the clutch release mechanism through the tranny) The other 2 I have no idea. They could have fell off from the adjuster cover but i didn't see them. I cant find anything in my book either. Except for the one that was on the pushrod. There are just 4 bolt holding that sprocket cover on and I didnt see anything that those
o-rings would fit. Any help would be appreciated. Jeremy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Sep 2007 23:01 #171031 by ace4mestl
Replied by ace4mestl on topic Sprocket Cover O-Rings?
Well I found another one and a partial in the gunk below the sprocket (Very dirty inside cover o-rings could have been there for awhile). My bike doesn't have the sprocket guard. (Guard goes right over the sprocket)I can only think that they came from that cover thats not there, or an old chain. Since there's 3 now it can't be the adjustment cover. If you know if there's more than 1 o-ring in here let me know. Like I posted the only one in the book is on the pushrod. I have not removed the sprocket. So it's just in this area.

More
17 Sep 2007 03:10 #171037 by Samwell
Replied by Samwell on topic Sprocket Cover O-Rings?
ace4mestl wrote:

Well I found another one and a partial in the gunk below the sprocket (Very dirty inside cover o-rings could have been there for awhile). My bike doesn't have the sprocket guard. (Guard goes right over the sprocket)I can only think that they came from that cover thats not there, or an old chain. Since there's 3 now it can't be the adjustment cover. If you know if there's more than 1 o-ring in here let me know. Like I posted the only one in the book is on the pushrod. I have not removed the sprocket. So it's just in this area.

Are these rubber o-rings, larger oil seals, or kind of doughnut shaped coiled springs? The reason I ask is, my machine doesn't have o-rings per se at the adjustment cover. I don't have a sprocket guard either - apparently only some models had this. I do, however, have oil seals, and part of these oil seals are these little coiled springs and they can come out of the seal. Check kawasaki.com for parts diagrams and it'll show what you need.

Sam

--
Current Rides: 2013 BMW R1200GSW, 1972 BMW R75/5
Current Project: 1978 KZ1000A2: Supercrank'd by Falicon, APE studs and nuts, Dyna Green coils, powder coated frame and fenders, Stainless brake lines, dual front discs, pods, Kerker Exhaust, 1075cc with JE pistons

• The Gringo
  • User
  • ¡Usted no necesita otra motocicleta!
More
17 Sep 2007 03:31 #171041 by The Gringo
Replied by The Gringo on topic Sprocket Cover O-Rings?
Sounds like your O-ring chain may be getting old and shedding O-rings.

Andy
Akron, Ohio
80 Z-1 Classic-Sold
84 GPZ1100
79 KZ 1000 LTD
78 KZ 1000 A2
77 KZ 1000 LTD-Sold
76 KZ 900 The definition of a barn find
76 KZ 900-Sold gone to Denmark
KZ 750 times 3, KZ 650 times 8 Sold 1 down to 7
KZ 550 times 2 80 440LTD-Sold
81 CSR 305-Sold 81 Yamaha XS650 Special

More
17 Sep 2007 03:56 #171048 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic Sprocket Cover O-Rings?
I have never heard of any o-rings for the cover. Like was already said, probably just o-rings coming off the chain. Take a real close look at your chain, link by link and you should see some of the o0rings coming apart.

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

More
17 Sep 2007 09:44 #171110 by ace4mestl
Samwell wrote:

ace4mestl wrote:

Are these rubber o-rings, larger oil seals, or kind of doughnut shaped coiled springs? The reason I ask is, my machine doesn't have o-rings per se at the adjustment cover. I don't have a sprocket guard either - apparently only some models had this. I do, however, have oil seals, and part of these oil seals are these little coiled springs and they can come out of the seal. Check kawasaki.com for parts diagrams and it'll show what you need.

Sam

These are small round rubber(same size as the pushrod one). The one came off the pushrod coming from the clutch adjuster assembly. Thats what I'm thinking they are off the chain. What is strange though is they aren't destroyed just split on one side and intact.

• Skyman
  • User
  • 1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD 1982 KZ1000-M2 CSR
More
17 Sep 2007 10:07 #171113 by Skyman
Replied by Skyman on topic Sprocket Cover O-Rings?
I'm also thinking chain rings. Same thing happened to me. When my o-ring chain went bad, I started finding broken o-rings piling up in the goo inside the sprocket cover. Examine your chain closely. I'll bet you'll find several missing o-rings.

West Linn, OR

More
17 Sep 2007 10:31 #171116 by ace4mestl
Thank You very much. Jeremy