slipping, clutch or tranny

More
10 Jan 2006 11:56 #17085 by Sweet Back
slipping, clutch or tranny was created by Sweet Back
The problem:

When I accelerate, the bike revs but doesn't move in corrolation to how much gas I'm giving it. I can drive down the street but if I hit the gas it revs and doesn't quite go. Goes some, but not as much as it should.

History:
I've recently had a small nightmare replacing the starter. The starter actually is fine now. Its the generator cover. I pulled it to replace it with a chrome piece. Of the 3 bolts holding in the stator, 2 came out. The 3rd wouldn't. I took it to the dealer and they couldn't remove it with an impact gun. So I decided to stick with the original for now. I put it back on and the lower left bolt, I guess I tightened too much and the cover cracked right around the bolt. So I went to remove it. Now, one of the bolt heads is widened too much so the allen wrench doesn't work, and so I can't get the bolt out until I use some other methods.

So, right now, the original gen cover is on, with a cracked housing just around the bolt. It is not leaking. I have drained the oil 3 times. And refilled of course.

2nd Question:

Is anything I touched even remotely related to the clutch or tranny. I know there are sprockets under the gen cover. Wondering if maybe that has something to do with it. The clutch has not been slipping in the past, AT ALL.

Thanks!!!!

1996 KZ1000P

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jan 2006 13:04 #17097 by Willo46
Replied by Willo46 on topic slipping, clutch or tranny
Did you pull the cover off the left side of the motor just behind the generator cover when you were doing this work? The clutch actuating mechanism is behind this cover and I would check to see it's not binding or something. How does your clutch lever feel?

More
10 Jan 2006 14:36 #17114 by Sweet Back
Replied by Sweet Back on topic slipping, clutch or tranny
I did pull it off. And I pulled it again thinking maybe that was it. Clutch lever is good.

1996 KZ1000P

More
10 Jan 2006 15:30 #17128 by Willo46
Replied by Willo46 on topic slipping, clutch or tranny
I would definitely try to rule out mechanical misadjustment on the clutch. Since this is a much later model than mine but I believe essentially the same, I am just shy of 100% sure that there is nothing under the generator cover that would affect this.

There should be just a little slack at the lever. Perhaps check to see if the clutch adjustment is set right under the little cover in the middle of the chain cover. There should be a screw with a nut around it that might need to be adjusted slightly. When I get achance later I will check in my manual which way it might need to go.

You didn't happen to put synthetic oil in it did you? My son's Ducati clutch started slipping after he put synthetic oil in it.

Good luck with that!

More
10 Jan 2006 17:27 #17155 by hwms
Replied by hwms on topic slipping, clutch or tranny
I have a p14.
It has been my experience that the clutch release mechanizm (under the sprocket cover) tends to get gummed up with chain lube. Remove, disasemble and throughly clean. Replace and readjust clutch release rod ( small cover on large cover). Check all other adjustments.
Harry

• wireman
  • Visitor
10 Jan 2006 18:49 #17178 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic slipping, clutch or tranny
try finding the closest size allen wrench you have to the stripped out one and get a couple real good tack welds on it,that should work long enough for you to get the bolt out!as for the other problem try whatHarry said,i bet that will take care of it!goodluck,happy wrenching!

More
11 Jan 2006 17:42 #17319 by Sweet Back
Replied by Sweet Back on topic slipping, clutch or tranny
Ok, so I was lookin around for some tools and realized I had my head up my keester :sick: . What I forgot to mention was that I also put a chrome sprocket cover on. I just needed to adjust the clutch release. hwms hit it. I just need to get that other cover worked out. But at least the damn thing is running now. Thanks all.

1996 KZ1000P

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
More
11 Jan 2006 18:41 #17334 by KZQ
Replied by KZQ on topic slipping, clutch or tranny
Hey Harry,

Some time ago, a friend of mine had a Hardly Sportster that needed help. I logged onto a Hardly forum and asked for advice. I immediately got shut down because, the denizens thought of the place as a virtual bar and suggested that I offer a virtual round of drinks before I dared to ask for help.

So, in that vein, Congratulations Harry! have another cup of coffee on me, virtually!

Bill

www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300