Gas question, could be stupid :/

More
12 Sep 2007 00:52 #170112 by TheDevilZX
Gas question, could be stupid :/ was created by TheDevilZX
But there is the fuel dial on the left side of my 77' KZ650. I can lift it vertical pointing up, or down, and horizontal. I am wondering what fuel cut is "im thinking horizontal?" and what up or down would mean?

Also, anyone in the Tulsa, Oklahoma area who knows wiring, I need some help i've got a solenoid problem, the person who had the bike previously messed the starter up big.

Anyhow, thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Sep 2007 03:13 #170115 by themachine
Replied by themachine on topic Gas question, could be stupid :/
take the valve apart.

i took mine apart and found it had a different handle/router part and wouldnt use the reserve unless i pointed the handle straight up, but i'd have to cut the handle down to clear the bottom edge of the tank. :huh:

82 kawaski csr1000 Evolved into a streetfighter.

I love Speed! Hot Nasty Badass Speed!!!

More
12 Sep 2007 04:02 #170118 by TheDevilZX
Replied by TheDevilZX on topic Gas question, could be stupid :/
Its not that its not working, it works fine.. I just want to know the basics of it.. Which way is which.. like, by setting it horizontally, what happens? And setting it vertically pointing up, what happens, or down, what then? And also the basics of choke?

Thats all I was wondering, not how to fix it, but if I ever have problems i'll know i I can disassemble thanks to you :)

Any advice about the above?

More
12 Sep 2007 05:04 #170125 by flht1997
Replied by flht1997 on topic Gas question, could be stupid :/
handle pointing up is reserve. handle down is on. handle horizontal is off. if it is a stock 77' petcock.

Matt Milwaukee, WI
75' KZ400, (5) 78' KZ400, 76' KZ 750, 78' KZ650
78'CB750F, 78' CB550K
89' BMW R100RT
05' H-D Electra Glide
06' KLR650
Do it right or don't bother doing it at all.

More
12 Sep 2007 13:54 #170188 by TheDevilZX
Replied by TheDevilZX on topic Gas question, could be stupid :/
Alright, well.. I've had choke off, and the dial set to horizontal "off" on my gas switch.. Yet gas still is dripping from the float bowls, could they be flooded? or am i doing something wrong? Also, since my battery is dead, i tried kickstarting my bike, and it backfired?? I dunno whats going on.

Also, when I bought the bike, the owner did say he had not primed it, and there had not been gasoline in it for a month or two, I didnt think of this when I was starting it for the first time. What should i do about this, also?

Post edited by: TheDevilZX, at: 2007/09/12 17:41

More
24 Sep 2007 09:03 #172534 by 77Davo650
Replied by 77Davo650 on topic Gas question, could be stupid :/
I am looking through your posts to see if I can give any info on this bike, the guy I bought it from had just shorted the solenoid together with a screwdriver and after a while the starter stopped working. I never was able to get it to work, even after I re-wired the bike.

The engine was replaced on the bike by the guy I sold it to here in Tulsa, but I am not sure if the guy I sold it to replaced the starter or just swapped the bad one into the new engine, so it might be that your starter is bad. I know the solenoid is good because I replaced it when I had the bike. I am pretty sure the wiring is correct also as I just redid the wiring on my bike and the starter works fine.

77 KZ650 C1 (sold)
78 KZ650 B2 (sold)
78 KZ400 B1 (sold)
78 kz400 C1 (resto-mod)
78 kz400 C1 (hardtail low chop)
couple of possible project kz's in parts