Head gasket ????

• federal officer
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
11 Sep 2007 11:07 #170002 by federal officer
Head gasket ???? was created by federal officer
Hi all looking for some advice. I am going to change the head gasket on my 1979 kz 750 B twin. the question is when i reach the point of removing the cams do they come out easily. in theory if i mark the gears in reference to the chain and i dont rotate anything i should be fine in reassembly when i comes to timming correct?? I'm using a 1980 750 serive manual. Are there tricks or advice from anyone who has done this before?
its a first for me but i do consider myself fairly mechanically inclined. Thanks in advance. The reson for the change is i'm getting a boiling noise or hissing noise were the head meets the top of the cylinder and the front of the motor is full of oil

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Sep 2007 13:43 #170019 by ronjones
Replied by ronjones on topic Head gasket ????
If your twin is similar to mine you shouldn't need to remove the cams, to just change your head gasket.

'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades

• federal officer
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
11 Sep 2007 15:29 #170031 by federal officer
Replied by federal officer on topic Head gasket ????
If i'm not mistaken its DOHC set-up right !!!
the cam chain drives through the block and connects to the crank so i figure i'd have to remove the twin cams to get the head off ????

More
11 Sep 2007 16:16 #170038 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Head gasket ????
Pretty much have to remove the cams unless you have a master link in the cam chain :)

Timing the cams again is easy, probably the easiest part of the whole job.

Usual oil leak on the front of the 750 twin is the tach drive, and it usually drips on the exhaust and makes a hissing sound.

Just follow the instructions in the manual for setting the cam timing and you will do fine.

KD9JUR

More
11 Sep 2007 18:32 #170057 by ronjones
Replied by ronjones on topic Head gasket ????
shoot, sorry, I missread your post and was thinking of the valve cover gasket. Steel is the twin expert...and I'm a boob :blush:

'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades

More
11 Sep 2007 20:46 #170091 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Head gasket ????
ronjones wrote:

I'm a boob :blush:

Heyyyyy...He said,"Boob"

Can I say "Breast"?:huh: :dry: :whistle:

1977 KZ1000 A-1