Noise.. Help me man!

More
06 Sep 2007 20:22 #169094 by kennewick58
Noise.. Help me man! was created by kennewick58
I bought a 81 kz 440 ltd d2 for 150.00. The PO couldn,t get to run. It was only running on 1 cylinder and the clutch was slipping. I adjusted the clutch and got her home. Found the lead wire to the #1 coil broken. Fixed and the #1 blew smoke until the ring seated now no smoke. Did a quick clean and adjust on the carbs and she idles perfect. Hardly need any choke to start and starts instantly Idles perfect. Readjusted the clutch and changed the fluids checked er out. Ok I took it for a ride cruised very nice. After about 5 miles It seemed to be getting hot and the oil light started to come on at low rpm 1500. I started home and decided to open her up to wot. The power loss was imediate at throttle. It started to rattle. The rattle comes at 3000 and higher but only in gear and load. No noise in nuetral. I still have the power loss at WOT. The sould is a loud rattle almost a slap. Increases with rpm but only while in gear and under load. 31000 miles and still starts instantly and idles perfect. Help man. Almost no smoke but still seems to get hot.

Post edited by: kennewick58, at: 2007/09/07 00:12
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Sep 2007 21:03 #169112 by kennewick58
Replied by kennewick58 on topic Noise.. Help me man!
One other thing. I saw this on another thread, But I pulled the small cover and there isn't ant thing there to adjust. Could this clutch be installed wrong?

Clutch adjustment
On you sprocket cover there is a small rectangular cover, take off that cover and there is a adjusting screw in there. loose the nut and turn the screw out, then screw it in till you feel a little tension. The other prob I had was when I put a new front long screw in the sprocket cover after riding it for so long without the 2 screws for the front of the sprocket cover. When I put the screw in it changed the clutch adjustment """only allowing contact of the clutch to like 4000rpm then slipping above that."""

More
07 Sep 2007 09:23 #169196 by tjettim
Replied by tjettim on topic Noise.. Help me man!
It sounds like the main bearings
are shot.Take the side covers off
and check the crank for any play.

More
07 Sep 2007 09:39 #169201 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic Noise.. Help me man!
Run this by the guys on this site, they are all about 400/440's. kzrider.com/component/option,com_weblink...view/catid,226/id,3/

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles