Valve tick...

• savedrider
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
More
08 Jan 2006 23:12 #16834 by savedrider
Valve tick... was created by savedrider
Can having one valve clearance at .13mm (.005") cause a noisey valve?

I've been noticing a slight bit of valve noise from the right side of the valve train when the bike is first started or cold. It goes away after the engine comes to full temp. It is also only noticeable at idle.

All my valves are in spec except for one at .13mm. I didn't think .13mm was wide enough to cause a noisey valve, but I guess so.

I'm going to bump up one shim size, but of course it's always got to be the shim size you don't have on hand (I have to order it). Supposed to be sunny all week too. :pinch:

Get right or get left! <*{{{><

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jan 2006 05:51 #16857 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Valve tick...
savedrider - When you park on sidestand, keep in mind that there are two oil journals. One on the #1 cylinder and the other on the #4 by the rear studs. Note that engine oil in the cylinder head near the intake and exhaust cams flows down towards the #1 side and the #4 will have less oil. It takes awhile for oil to get up and around the #4 side so there will be a bit of noise if you start the bike and put it on sidestand to warm. There should be enough oil in the trough on the head where it should not be a problem. The .13mm is out of spec with the clearance too large for a 900 head but won't hurt anything I think. The 1000 head is essentially the same head and they allow a max clearance of .15mm. If the clearance is a bit wide, the vavle will be noisy but unless it is excessively so, won't cause a problem I think.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• savedrider
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
More
09 Jan 2006 08:56 #16888 by savedrider
Replied by savedrider on topic Valve tick...
In this case it continues while riding for the first few minutes (only noticable at idle), until the engine gets completely warm. Makes sense since once the metal starts expanding a bit the tolerances close and the noise goes away.

I'm almost 100% certain it's valve noise. I'll know once I get the shim I need.

Thanks

• savedrider
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
More
11 Jan 2006 15:15 #17295 by savedrider
Hey I reshimmed that valve and still have the same tick.

Sounds like it's coming from the #4 exhaust or intake valve. Guess it's not due to clearance. What else could it be?

More
11 Jan 2006 17:19 #17317 by tfh903
Replied by tfh903 on topic Valve tick...
Put a stethascope (sp) on it. If don't have one use a long 3/8 extention or piece of metal ie: like a rebar or even a long screwdriver. One end on engine and the other in your ear. You can move the end on the engine around to various place to find where tick is loudest. Listen for the noise your trying to find and try to ignore all the other noises.

• savedrider
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
More
11 Jan 2006 19:53 #17353 by savedrider
Sounds like a good idea and I might just do that. Even if I do isolate the noise (assuming it's in the head), I don't think there is much I will do about it right now. The bike seems to be running fine so I'm not going to get too concerned. The head was just redone not too long ago so I'm not going to pull it unless something major happens.

• wireman
  • Visitor
11 Jan 2006 21:23 #17368 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Valve tick...
a piece of garden hose works too,and you dont have to worry about those leaking plug wires!dont ask!!!!!!!!! bwaha goodluck,happy wrenching!

More
12 Jan 2006 06:31 #17439 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Valve tick...
Might be an exhaust leak. Sometimes they sound like a tick.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• savedrider
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
More
12 Jan 2006 08:19 #17461 by savedrider
RonKZ650 wrote:

Might be an exhaust leak. Sometimes they sound like a tick.

Thanks. I was thinking the same thing so I snugged up my exhaust mounts at the head last night. Check later when I ride to work.

• savedrider
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
More
13 Jan 2006 21:03 #17805 by savedrider
So this tick, tick, tick just won't go away. All valve clearances are in spec, cam chain adjusted/checked twice in the last 200mi. or so. Anything else I should look into here? Sounds too metallic to be an exhaust leak, but you never know.

Doesn't seem to be down on power or anything. Again, the lower the idle the louder the tick. It is almost unoticeable at 1500 rpm and up.

It's always something ain't it?

• wireman
  • Visitor
14 Jan 2006 04:57 #17829 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Valve tick...
check your oil pressure!goodluck,happy wrenching!

More
17 Jan 2006 21:09 #18373 by gas
Replied by gas on topic Valve tick...
Didn't someone here mention once that sometimes a valve guide can be loose and cause a tick or rattle at idle ?