Clutch Nut removal

More
03 Sep 2007 09:51 #168228 by gaillarry
Clutch Nut removal was created by gaillarry
I'm changing the starter clutch in my GPZ750 and having a hell of a time getting the nut off the main clutch. I have the clutch plates removed and using a clutch holder took and an impact gun and can't get it to move. Is the nut reverse thread?

1977 KZ1000
1985 Gpz750

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Sep 2007 00:15 #168375 by GPzephyr
Replied by GPzephyr on topic Clutch Nut removal
No the nut is not reverse threaded.
They are a sod to remove though. I made a clutch holding tool about 4ft long and usually stand on that whilst using a 6ft breaker bar. That does it for me.

1991, Zephyr 750. GPz750 turbo engine, 810cc, Garrett T25 turbo, GPz1100 throttle bodies, 310cc injectors, Power commander, Dyna coils, Lots more as well...

KB Saturn fitted with a stock GPz750 turbo engine. Loads to do on this project.

More
04 Sep 2007 12:32 #168483 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Clutch Nut removal
Use a more powerful impact gun. I am not trying to be funny... Most folks buy compressors and get a free impact gun and it won't take a clutch hub nut off... get one that advertises at least 4 or 5 hundred lbs of torque... Mine is called an "Earthquake" gun and it will remove the nut. Put your location in your signature... very likely someone has the gun necessary to do the job in your area.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
04 Sep 2007 14:14 #168506 by gaillarry
Replied by gaillarry on topic Clutch Nut removal
I'm using a v.g impact gun and compressor but no go with the nut. So I took the easy way out. With a dremel tool and a cut off blade I gently cut off the nut without damaging the threads on the shaft. No more grunting and groaning trying to get it off.

1977 KZ1000
1985 Gpz750

More
05 Sep 2007 05:51 #168645 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Clutch Nut removal
You can pick up a new nut and washer from www.z1enterprises.com - I buy nuts 10 at a time from my metric fastener source but get 30mm nuts; they carry a 30mm nut that is thin enough to work. A standard washer will fit under the slightly larger nut but is harder to bend since there is only a little bit of the washer sticking out. The nut is actually 20mm with a 27mm OD but that size is actually not a standard metric outside diameter; a 20mm nut is standard 30mm outside diameter. The main problem in finding a nut that will fit is its thickness; most 30mm nuts are just too thick.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
05 Sep 2007 12:38 #168730 by gaillarry
Replied by gaillarry on topic Clutch Nut removal
I'm a little confused on the nut size. I used a 30mm socket on the nut, but are you saying it's a 27mm nut size?

1977 KZ1000
1985 Gpz750