my project just got alot harder

More
01 Sep 2007 19:26 #167841 by chunkyone
my project just got alot harder was created by chunkyone
ok i have a 1982 kz 1000 ltd that i had stripped down to a street fighter look the bike ran amazing up until last week. I was coming home from a short trip (less than 25 miles) and all of a sudden there was a LOUD bang followed by a total loss of drive power. I still had electrical and the motor still was still running. While i was coasting to a stop i noticed my tach was all over the place with no relation to the throttle i tried to give it. I tried to rev the engine for some kind of idea of what happened and all i would get is a 4 or 5 week chugs of the engine (turning over very slowly) and then a pop from my exhaust. Now my neutral light doesnt come on when the bike is not in any gear (i can roll the bike in neutral and can not in gear) and it wont even try to turn over.

ok i told a few bike guys i work with who told me to check my timing/cam chain since it sounded a little like that was the prob (tach issues) and because it was the easiest thing engine wise to check. I broke down everything from gas tank etc and pulled my cam covers. The chain is still in one peice and semms tight.

I am SUPER new to anything and everything mechanical but i learn pretty quick, i was just curiose if any one else had ever come across this or if ill be posting my progress every weekend to let everyone else know what the H*ll is wrong with my ride. thanks to all who have any input i look forwadr to hearing form you
Sincerely Chunky

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Sep 2007 19:52 #167857 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic my project just got alot harder
does the motor turn over still?;)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
01 Sep 2007 19:58 #167860 by chunkyone
Replied by chunkyone on topic my project just got alot harder
i could not get it to start after i finally coasted to a stop and shut it down.

More
01 Sep 2007 19:59 #167861 by chunkyone
i could not get it to start after i finally coasted to a stop and shut it down.

More
01 Sep 2007 21:53 #167898 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic my project just got alot harder
while the valve cover is still off put a wrench on the bigger nut under your points cover and try turning motor over slowly by hand to see if something goes clunk.watch the cams and chain as you turn it over and listen;)pull the plugs while you do this to make it easier to turn over

Post edited by: PLUMMEN, at: 2007/09/02 00:55

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
02 Sep 2007 08:15 #167954 by GPzephyr
Replied by GPzephyr on topic my project just got alot harder
Think it may be worth taking a look in the oil pan underneath. You may spot whatevers causing the problem.
I presume you have checked to see if a rod is sticking through the crankcase.
If the engine barely turns over, it may even be a dropped valve (which you should be able to see through a plug hole.)

Sorry to be gloomy about this.

1991, Zephyr 750. GPz750 turbo engine, 810cc, Garrett T25 turbo, GPz1100 throttle bodies, 310cc injectors, Power commander, Dyna coils, Lots more as well...

KB Saturn fitted with a stock GPz750 turbo engine. Loads to do on this project.

More
02 Sep 2007 16:31 #168062 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic my project just got alot harder
drain the oil an see if you have metal in it, if so pull the pan as stated above, next pull the plugs, see if there is any damage to them, poss broken valve, look at the valve clearance, if exessive or too tight, may have vlve problems also.
try to roll the motor backwards to see if anything moves

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
02 Sep 2007 18:14 #168081 by chunkyone
cool thanks ill check with that stuff next, thanks for all the info guys