Transmission Clunks

More
11 Sep 2007 22:41 #170106 by Norseman
Replied by Norseman on topic Transmission Clunks
Thanks, MDawnz1, I will do that. In regards to the IC Igniter, that's the feedback I'm getting from both Z1, a recommended Igniter dealer, as well as quite a few members on the forum. My only other experience was with a failing IC Igniter on a Kawasaki 500EX a couple of months ago. The bike would run great, or die. Smack the IC Igniter, and the darn thing would start up again, run great for few miles, then kill the engine again. But it wouldn't reduce performance when working, but kill the engine completely.

So, I'm back to the coils again. It seems that they, or the pickup coils, are the only components that could cause misfiring. The advancer looks great and moves freely. The bottom line is take an educated guess, and replace the most likely culprit. If the problem persists, move on to the next likely candidate.

Having already replaced the sparkplug wires and plugs rules those out. I've done the WiredGeorge re-powering mod, so I know I'm getting 12 volts in. Checked and cleaned all connectors, so it's not that. Checked all ground connections, so that's ruled out. So now the bike sits until I can afford new Dyna coils. Oh well...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Sep 2007 14:39 #170198 by MDawnz1
Replied by MDawnz1 on topic Transmission Clunks
OK I get it ,
you are doing this on the cheap ......

Soooo ,,,,,
Lets start from the beginning .....

Move your shift lever down 1 notch / tooth ,,,,FREE
Might help with the 3/4 shift.

Change your oil and filter ......CHEAP
use a CLEAN drain pan ,
DON'T dump the oil UNTIL YOU LOOK AT IT !!!!

Look for ANY metal
Any chips big enough to see them are BAD .....
Brass is bad ,Brass chips are VERY bad .

All good things to look at if you think trans .

P.S. How good / old is your batt. ?

Volts are 1 thing and amps are another .

A battery that is on its last legs WILL drive you and your electronics crazy.

1974 Z1a, still 903

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.