Overheating?

More
31 Aug 2007 12:32 #167588 by Corith
Overheating? was created by Corith
I think my bike is overheating? The symptoms are when I was riding it this morning down the highway it would anti-surge. Meaning that a surge would feel like a boost in power, and this felt like a loss of power (but just for a second).

Then, when I was attempting to ride it home today, I got a mile from work (all downhill I might add) it started doing the same anti-surge feeling, but a lot longer, then it died. I could start it back up, and it would die again.

Knowing that gas tank venting could be an issue, I opened up the tank and drove it around a parking lot like that. I would run for a minute, then start doing that again.

My fuel filter is nice and clean. It shows it is full of fuel.

And my bike was running well the other day when it was only 60F outside (today was 85F).

So does that sound like overheating?

If it is, then I think the place I took my bike to didn't put enough oil in it. I have an aftermarket oil cooler and they only filled it up to the middle of the sight line. I normally add another 0.5 quarts after that because I know the oil lines store oil while it's being pumped around.

None-the-less, pushing my 650 uphill a mile back to my work's parking garage is NO fun at all.

Post edited by: Corith, at: 2007/08/31 15:33

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Aug 2007 16:07 #167617 by themachine
Replied by themachine on topic Overheating?
if its overheating it will start to get close tolerances and turn over hard when starting.

does it ping under acceleration? usually if it starts to overheat the factory heat range plugs will glow red hot and preignite the fuel

does the bike boil your britches when stopped at a stoplight?

i check my oil with the bike up straight off the kickstand, i too have an oil cooler and added a half quart over the full line due to the oil in the oil cooler lines draining back into the pan/galleries.

82 kawaski csr1000 Evolved into a streetfighter.

I love Speed! Hot Nasty Badass Speed!!!

More
31 Aug 2007 17:53 #167629 by Corith
Replied by Corith on topic Overheating?
The kick start was a bit harder to turn over after it had first died. So that was interesting.

I didn't hear any pinging though.

More
01 Sep 2007 01:02 #167693 by themachine
Replied by themachine on topic Overheating?
i have the coldest plugs i can get for my kaw and on a 80+ day after about 15 min if i get on it it will start to ping after 2-4 seconds of WOT, it runs HOT but has never just died on me, even when idling at a stop light.

add more oil, clean your plugs/new ones, check spark and compression.

82 kawaski csr1000 Evolved into a streetfighter.

I love Speed! Hot Nasty Badass Speed!!!