Need help identifying cams

More
29 Aug 2007 17:25 #167203 by floridamba
Need help identifying cams was created by floridamba
I have a pair of Megacycle Cams which (I was told) are for a J-model KZ1000. Can someone help me identify which cams these are?

Intake Cam:
Markings include K-22, CWC, EP14 and I-5

Exhaust Cam:
Markings include K-24, CWC, EP14 and I-5. Cam has gear drive for tachometer.

Both are in very good shape, no wear or dings.

thanks in advance

FMBA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Aug 2007 18:10 #167456 by tjettim
Replied by tjettim on topic Need help identifying cams
Those numbers don't match anything in the
Megacycle catalogue.Do you have any V blocks
and dial indicator to check the lift?

More
30 Aug 2007 21:57 #167486 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic Need help identifying cams
The CWC is the foundry, EP14 is the billet part number. They will not tell you who finished ground the cam.

Does it say Mega cycle on them anywhere? The grind number should be stamped on the end.

Jay

More
31 Aug 2007 06:45 #167533 by floridamba
Replied by floridamba on topic Need help identifying cams
I called Megacycle and they told me that the sprockets are theirs, but the cams are not. The sprockets are for the hy-vo chain used in the kz1000 J models and GPZ models. The cams are for an older KZ1000 or even maybe a 900, not sure on that. Megacycle had the sprockets made to allow older cams to be used in newer engines wit the hy-vo.

They referred me to another cam manuafcturer in Louisiana (don't have my notes with me now) who referred me to Star Racing ( www.starracing.com ) who makes most of the aftermarket cams. Their expert told me that the cams are a Z-2 and Z-4 model and were probably set up as an intake/exhaust pair, with the cam with the tach drive obviously being the exhaust.

He gave me the lift and recommended timing for each cam and said they are still being made today. He explained that now they mainly make exhaust cams only because that's where the horsepower is versus the intake.

I will post his info later today.

Interesting side note, I was in WV for the Concours Owners Group National Rally and the lead tech guru from Big K was there. I got to ride a Concours 14 20 miles in WV mountains and it is freaking awesome.

He explained how Big K uses the VVT variable valve timing on the intake side only because the C-14 has the ZX-14 head and produces about 180hp versus the 203 of the ZX-14. The intake timing produces more torque and lowers emissions.