ENGINE PAINT

More
08 Jan 2006 10:11 #16709 by kawadruida
ENGINE PAINT was created by kawadruida
Hi, I posted this in the PAINT-BODYWORK FORUM but had no answers, maybe anyone can help me with this one:

ENGINE PAINT - 2006/01/06 10:47
My newly acquired Gpz550 engine has its flat black paint gone in many places. Which is the best paint to restore it to that original flat tone?

Many thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • Visitor
08 Jan 2006 10:17 #16713 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic ENGINE PAINT
are you sure it was flat back?i allways thought they were more of a semi-gloss not really shiny,but not flat.maybe try some spraypaint from a m.c shop!goodluck,happy wrenching!

More
08 Jan 2006 10:26 #16716 by arobsum
Replied by arobsum on topic ENGINE PAINT
i once had an xs1100 yamaha that did this. i cleaned it up and used the flat black hi temp exhaust paint on it and it worked great. i rode it for about a year and sold it.

More
08 Jan 2006 15:42 #16763 by kawadruida
Replied by kawadruida on topic ENGINE PAINT
Thanx guys for your advice. Sorry, I think I was using the word "flat" in a wrong way. I mean semi glossy, not shiny but not thaaaaat flat:)

I´ll try to get a decent hi temp paint spray can, they stand up as much as 600 degrees (centigrades) as the packs state. I don´t think that my poor engine ever reaches that much heat, do you?

Anyway, I´ll keep you posted about my results, maybe can upload a few pics too.

Cheers.

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
More
08 Jan 2006 17:04 #16777 by Biquetoast
Replied by Biquetoast on topic ENGINE PAINT
Have you considered PJ1 paint ?

I've never used it myself, but I have heard about it...

If I remember correctly, Smithgpz used it on his twin's engine - here's the picture in the gallery...

(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

More
09 Jan 2006 00:45 #16838 by Snakebyte
Replied by Snakebyte on topic ENGINE PAINT
I have used grill paint on my exhaust, and dupont high temp paint on the engine with no probs.

More
09 Jan 2006 02:21 #16840 by gpzrox
Replied by gpzrox on topic ENGINE PAINT
I have used the 1200 degree ceramic engine spray paint I found down at the local auto parts chain store. They had a semigloss black that matched nicely.

Now for the really intense, JC Whitney sells some brush on stuff w/ stainless in it, IIRC, that I have heard works awesome as a base. My exhaust may get this treatment in the spring, the 1200 degree is not fairing so well there. Even with sandblasting as a starting point.

84 GPZ750. Modded with stock Kawasaki parts: ZR-7 shock, ZX-6 coils, GPZ1100 throttle, EN454 brake, GPZ900 fuse box, etc. and non stock: Ken Sears mirrors, K&N filter, Pirelli Sport Demons.

• wireman
  • Visitor
09 Jan 2006 05:12 #16852 by wireman
try wiping down the engine with armor-all once in a while,it keeps the paint from drying out so fast

More
09 Jan 2006 11:01 #16898 by trickedST
Replied by trickedST on topic ENGINE PAINT
In all my experiences with high temperature paints, they look great when you apply them, but they have always got dull after the heat gets to them, and I mean ugly dull. If you weren't going to a completly original look, I would suggest having your motor powder coated

More
09 Jan 2006 12:43 #16920 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic ENGINE PAINT
wireman wrote:

try wiping down the engine with armor-all once in a while,it keeps the paint from drying out so fast

Once you do get it painted, the armor-all trick works. I spray my entire clean engine down liberally with original Armor-all, let it drip-dry (the white liquid goes to clear as it dries). Then I wax the engine covers. It looks good (semi-gloss effect) for about a week or until its time to clean the scooter again. In fact, Armor-all will keep all those parts (metal and plastic) that tend to gray with age, nice and black. Now, if it would only work on my hair...:dry:

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
09 Jan 2006 15:16 #16933 by kawadruida
Replied by kawadruida on topic ENGINE PAINT
Please try to explain me what Armoll-all is, does or it's made of. I don't know the product cause it does not exist in Argentina. I checked the web site, and found an amazing varieties of the product. Please try to be more specific about its composition or propertesw, thanks.

• wireman
  • Visitor
09 Jan 2006 19:19 #16982 by wireman
IT WAS ORIGIONALLY MADE TO TO PROTECT VINYL/LEATHER/RUBBER AND THAT KIND OF FROM DRYING OUT,I STARTED USING IT 20 YEARS AGO ON ENGINE PARTS I FIGURED IT WOULD PROTECT PAINT FROM DRYING OUT IVE ALLWAYS HAD GOOD LUCK WITH IT!GOODLUCK,HAPPY WRENCHING!