Vance and Hines Help

More
28 Aug 2007 21:33 #167032 by mjhworth
Vance and Hines Help was created by mjhworth
I just received my V/H 4 into 1 exhaust for my KZ750E and I am having all kinds of issues getting it to fit. I first had to take my dremmel and grind a little off the head pipe in order to get one of the holders to slip over the pipe. Next it appears that the collars are too long. I can't get any threads to show in order to get the nuts started. The head pipes look like they don't exactly meat the head squarely either.

Any suggestions? I am ready to send this thing back and try again.

Have read several posts regarding quality issues with V&H...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Aug 2007 22:00 #167033 by brich
Replied by brich on topic Vance and Hines Help
Perchance they sent you the wrong header??? Don't Dremmel it no more ... just call who you bought it from and let them know it isn't fitting and you want another one. You may also want to try to hide where you Dremmeled it. ;)

1975 Z1 900, 1075 wiesco kit, web cams, smooth bores, dyna ignition, denco pipe, lester mags, wicked bad rotors, custom gauge face plates .. not much stock left.

More
28 Aug 2007 22:10 #167034 by mjhworth
Replied by mjhworth on topic Vance and Hines Help
I didn't take off much material, not noticeable. Still looks chrome. The head pipe flanges even have different thicknesses. Looks like poor tooling...

More
28 Aug 2007 22:16 #167036 by brich
Replied by brich on topic Vance and Hines Help
Yeah that ain't cool! Especially after you probably shelled out over 2 bills for it. I would call them tomorrow morning and just nicely tell them it doesn't fit and is already on it's way back to them and as a courtesy for your inconvenience you would like them to overnight you a new one once it arrives.

I am sure if they are a reputable place they will hook you up without question. I am sure they probably didn't open the box to check it before sent. I doubt they want to loose a customer.

1975 Z1 900, 1075 wiesco kit, web cams, smooth bores, dyna ignition, denco pipe, lester mags, wicked bad rotors, custom gauge face plates .. not much stock left.

More
28 Aug 2007 22:51 #167045 by mjhworth
Replied by mjhworth on topic Vance and Hines Help
Sounds like a plan....Thanks.

More
29 Aug 2007 00:16 #167050 by austin3119
Replied by austin3119 on topic Vance and Hines Help
Man, I'm sorry to hear about your pipes. It also sounds to me like maybe you got the wrong set. When I got mine, I spent hours with sand paper tape removing some of the chrome so the header would fit the can . PITA. Next time I'm going Kerker. It does sound good though.

More
29 Aug 2007 03:15 #167065 by themachine
Replied by themachine on topic Vance and Hines Help
i took mine to an exhaust shop and had them enlarge the connection between the megaphone and the header.

82 kawaski csr1000 Evolved into a streetfighter.

I love Speed! Hot Nasty Badass Speed!!!

More
29 Aug 2007 13:00 #167158 by tjettim
Replied by tjettim on topic Vance and Hines Help
You may be able to find longer studs that
will fit your bike.

More
29 Aug 2007 13:10 #167162 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Vance and Hines Help
mjhworth wrote:

... can't get any threads to show in order to get the nuts started....

Sometimes an old crush gasket remains mashed inside the head exhaust recess and is virtually unnoticeable amongst the carbon, soot and such. If not already done, use a pick to assure the recess is empty, because the old gasket can be stuck tightly up in there and almost invisible. :)

P.S. -- If the old header had been installed with two old previously used crush gaskets inside the recess (saving the expense of one new gasket), getting only one of them out leaves the other one to disallow space for the new gasket.

Post edited by: Patton, at: 2007/08/29 16:16

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
29 Aug 2007 14:49 #167177 by 810gpz750
Replied by 810gpz750 on topic Vance and Hines Help
"I first had to take my dremmel and grind a little off the head pipe"

the dremmel is bad please keep away from motorcycle:S