clutch acting up?

More
27 Aug 2007 22:07 #166800 by rattler
clutch acting up? was created by rattler
i pulled my kz1000 out today to change the oil. i went to start the bike with it in gear and the clutch pulled all the way in and the bike was jumping forward trying to take off. for some reason the clutch is not ingauging all the way when i try to start it up. i messed with it for a few hours and basicly got no were. the weird thing is it dose not do it ever time i try to start it, just some times. when its acts up i can verly even push the bike with the clutch pulled in while in gear. if i pop it in neutrual then put it back in gear agian it will roll free with the clutch in and start up like normal. the bike runs fine once its running, the clutch seems to work great and shifts smoothly. it dosnt even slip one bit.i tried to take out the very little slack i had in the clutch cable but it did not help any.
it got dark on me so i did not get any further. will have to tinker with it wendsday. has anyone had a similar problem or a idea of what might cause what my bike is doing? thanks...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Aug 2007 23:12 #166806 by Mark Wing
Replied by Mark Wing on topic clutch acting up?
Is it a Barnett clutch? I had them be graby on me.
Mark

Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.

More
27 Aug 2007 23:22 #166807 by rattler
Replied by rattler on topic clutch acting up?
they are stock clutch plate and steels. i have never put the barnetts in from all the hearsay of them puting metal shaveings in the oil.
i dont thinks its something to major, but its got me puzzled at the moment. have never came across this issue before.

More
28 Aug 2007 08:30 #166858 by Philip Meaney
Replied by Philip Meaney on topic clutch acting up?
My 750 Turbo does that a lot (I know it has more plates than the NA 750). I've put it down to the plates simply sticking together (surface tension/suction) of the oil on the plates. Works much better after the bike is fully warmed up. Another habit I have that mitigates the sticky clutch when I need to put it in gear without a good warmup is to haul the clutch lever in and hold it in for a good 20 seconds or so before putting it in gear - figure it gives all the moving parts a chance to let go of each other.

My old 750 Turbo had a Barnett, and that did it much worse (could ride it up the driveway with the clutch in when cold). In fact, the mechanic almost took out a lineup of motorcycles in the shop during my MOT, when he popped it into gear.

Long story short, I think your problem is fairly common with wet multi-disc clutches.

80 750 H1
85 750 Turbo
84 GPz 750